• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic 20/f1.7 or Olympus 17/f1.8 (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I'm after a 35mm-ish equivalent lens for my m4/3s system. I've found a couple of articles on the web comparing these two lenses (http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...7mm-f1-8-vs-panasonic-20mm-f1-7/#.U0mkX1y73FI and http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/17/olympus-zd-17-1_8/). The general view is they are comparable on image quality but the autofocus is a lot faster on the Olympus. I just wondered if anyone had tried/test both and what they thought of them, please? I'm leaning towards the Olympus for the slightly wider view but would like to hear from others first if possible.
Many thanks
Hobbes

Thanks again Niels. I've ordered the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7. The reviews seem to suggest the image quality/contrast/bokeh etc are pretty decent on the mark 2 Pana lens and the main advantage of the Olympus is the fast autofocus. So, I'm after the former of those so we shall see…
Hobbes

I used to have the first-generation Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, and ultimately sold it and switched to the Olympus 17mm f/1.8. These two lenses are pretty close in image quality, so presumably the mark 2 20mm has better contrast than the Olympus as well. As noted above, the Olympus's AF is much faster; it's also a bit quieter. What really made me switch was the fact that I just don't really like the 40mm equivalent focal length all that much, and found 34mm equivalent a lot more consistent with my style. But that's really a matter of personal preference, so I don't think you'll go wrong with the Panasonic.

I used to have the first-generation Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, and ultimately sold it and switched to the Olympus 17mm f/1.8. These two lenses are pretty close in image quality, so presumably the mark 2 20mm has better contrast than the Olympus as well. As noted above, the Olympus's AF is much faster; it's also a bit quieter. What really made me switch was the fact that I just don't really like the 40mm equivalent focal length all that much, and found 34mm equivalent a lot more consistent with my style. But that's really a matter of personal preference, so I don't think you'll go wrong with the Panasonic.

Thanks flanken. Your final point is the one I'm concerned about as well. I'm not sure whether 40mm will be to restrictive and that I will wish I had 34mm. Only way to find out is try it, I guess ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back