• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

luxury bird food (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,
Having done a little entertaining at the weekend I am left with some luxury dark Belgian chocolate which has been melted several times and resolidified. The question is, would the garden birds eat it? Or will I end up having to clear a brown soggy mess from the bird table?

Woody

Woody said:
Hi All,
Having done a little entertaining at the weekend I am left with some luxury dark Belgian chocolate which has been melted several times and resolidified. The question is, would the garden birds eat it? Or will I end up having to clear a brown soggy mess from the bird table?

Woody

Can you find a dish or bowl to put it in, and give the birds the option? ie hamster/cat/dog bowl - butter dish - there must be something in the kitchen cupboard, or how about a plant pot saucer?

seb_seb said:
Not sure if you should be feeding them chocolate?

That's the question, is it OK? As far as I can see it should be fine-it's just sugar and fat after all, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that ordinary chocolate is poisonous to dogs(?) so I wondered about the birds.

Woody

Never Feed ANY Animal Chocolate!

" *Do not feed birds any foods that contain chocolate. An ingredient of chocolate—theobromine—is toxic to birds just as it is to dogs and cats." Quote from Cornel University Ornithology http://birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/BirdFoods.htm
Quote is at the bottom of the page.

Chocolate is toxic to most animals. The same chemicals that make us feel good can be deadly if fed in large enough amounts. The thing is that amounts can vary between species and even between animals in the same species. You could have one animal eat a lot with no problem and his brother could get very ill on the same amount. The best thing to do is to be safe and eat all your chocolate yourself.

Here's another reference for you: http://tinyurl.com/v3da

Peace,
Jane

Woody said:
Thanks Jane, the choccie went in the bin, although it nearly broke my heart!

Woody

I don't eat chocolate very often, though I do have the occasional bar. However I shall certainly remember this, as I do use it in cooking occasionally. Just think of the trouble you avoided for the birds, Woody and your heart will soon recover. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back