• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

old masters (1 Viewer)

Strandman

I've just been sent a link to a stache of Liljefors pics I've never seen before, which is a nice way to start (well stop I guess) the working day. So for anyone interested in the old masters with their talents and foibles:

http://www.rijksmuseumtwenthe.nl/ve...h=1&Push=1202205924&Search=liljefors&x=8&y=12

Also a rather striking copy of a Liljefors RT Diver pic by a chap called Albert. Not quite as tranquil as RT Divers by a chap called Tim!

http://www.rijksmuseumtwenthe.nl/ve...&P_site=812&P_self=5726&PMax=Bladeren&PSkip=0

Many of those I've not seen before either. It's relatively easy to see a connection with Bateman in some of those.

Thanks for the link Ed.

Mike

Superb - thanks Ed. Although I have seen about 5 of these before, what's really amazing is the freshness the images retain after 100 years. Brings a tear to the eye, really does.
I was going to include an erne in my r-t d pic, but couldn't fit it in!

Stanley Cursiter

Hi Ed - hope you don't mind me adding this contribution?
Here's a chap who is having an increasing influence on the way I see landscape - Sir Stanley Cursiter, an Orcadian born and bred. If ever an artist 'painted with light' then I'm sure this venerable old fellow fits the bill. There is a fabulous new publication about his life and work called "Stanley Cursiter - a life of the artist" which I would recommend a peep if you get the chance.
By way of appetite whetting - here are 2 of my favourites . . .

Attachments

• 03671[1].jpg
    03671[1].jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 112
  • CursiterSurf.jpg
    CursiterSurf.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 114
Hi Ed - hope you don't mind me adding this contribution?
Here's a chap who is having an increasing influence on the way I see landscape - Sir Stanley Cursiter, an Orcadian born and bred. If ever an artist 'painted with light' then I'm sure this venerable old fellow fits the bill. There is a fabulous new publication about his life and work called "Stanley Cursiter - a life of the artist" which I would recommend a peep if you get the chance.
By way of appetite whetting - here are 2 of my favourites . . .

Oh they are rather brill..

I'm finding it a joy to go back and look at stuff by the oldies- putting aside any hang-ups about the birds not being up to modern standards or- shockingly- there not being any birds at all in some cases.

Current favourites are some old Shackleton seascapes with birds from the 1940s, published in Tidelines (along with black and white vignettes using all kinds of different cross-hatching etc. techniques). Much more expressionistic than his more recent stuff. I must have leafed through Tidelines a hundred times in the 1970s, picked it up again for the first time last week and felt the same sense of wonderment as I did then.

What a great artist, thanks for posting Tim, I saw these and thought I'd go and have a look at some work of the great Welsh artist, Sir Kyffin Williams, quite sad as I didn't realise he died nearly two years ago. Boy could he paint, which he started to do after a doctor advised him to on the grounds that he was abnormal, now, there's a role model for me!

Tim- that chaps work- Sir Stanley -is something else isn't it and has come just at the right time for me. I am spending as much time as I can at the moment trying to learn how to oil paint and do the sort of landscape and seascape work that he does in my own little way ofcourse . What an inspiration- I shall have to look him up. The composition, contrast and colour he has in those two pictures certainly made me sit up and want to pick up the brushes- thanks for posting.

And Nick- yes it was very sad to lose Kyffin. He has got to be one of my favourite artists. You may know another Welsh artist who has a similar sort of feel to Kyffin - Gwilym Pritcherd. He has been described as Kyffin with colour.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back