• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Mag. Plossl with PF65 (1 Viewer)

cowdh

Hello... I'm relatively new to this mixing and matching of eyepieces.
Any ideas/experiences on how a Tele Vue 8mm plossl (or any high mag plossl) eyepiece would suit the PF65. I have a Pentax XF 12mm (its great!), but I'm desiring just a bit more magnification for those certain occasions.
Thanks Doug.

Short focal length Plossls have very short eye relief, about 70% of the focal length of the eyepiece. An 8mm Plossl will have eye relief of about 5-6mm. What about the 8.5mm Pentax XF or the Pentax XF zoom for high magnification?

Frankly speaking, an 8mm plossl will stink. Plossls below 20mm are just not appropriate for spotting scopes.

The Stratus 8mm reviewed by Sout Fork would be more appropriate. I have the 5mm Stratus and it is crystal clear with great eyerelief (and that's at 126x).

Or you can get the Scopetronix zoom (if you don't want to plop down an arm and a leg for the Pentax SMC) which goes down to 7mm with great eyerelief. The main drawback to the Scopetronix is its field of view is relatively narrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back