• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

absolute beginner - tips + help please! (1 Viewer)

stevetb

hi there, ive just found my old pentax espio 200 camera http://www.ciao.co.uk/Pentax_Espio_200_Compact_Camera__2437 ( only link i could find as its so old.) i got it a couple christmas' back and never really got any decent photos. they either didn't focus, come out grainy or had a very dark background. i haven't a clue about photography so if someone could link to a beginners guide or explain all the different things to take into account and generally give advice and tips, that would be most helpful.
cheers! :king:

It depends what you are taking shots of,eg,Landscapes,Portraits ,etc.I guess that for bird images,unless it has a decent zoom,may not be very practical.Have you a handbook/manual for the camera ? .That should give you some idea as to settings etc.

it has a 200mm zoom which aint that good. i will get a better camera but first i want to get to grips with the basics. eg. whats shutter speed, ISO all that sorta stuff mean? - now you see what i mean by absolute beginner :'D

AC/DC said:
it has a 200mm zoom which aint that good. i will get a better camera but first i want to get to grips with the basics. eg. whats shutter speed, ISO all that sorta stuff mean? - now you see what i mean by absolute beginner :'D
Get a book called 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson. It'll explain all you need to know about the basics.

Then go out and play - try the same shot with different settings and see how they turn out. That's the magic of digital, you can make thousands of mistakes and it costs virtually nothing.

No great problem with those pics considering the camera - and I assume short zoom on it. You just need to be closer or have more zoom to fill the frame a bit more.

You can get good bird shots with a 200mm zoom, but your fieldcraft will have to be pretty impressive!

You are really looking at getting within a few metres to get the most out of the camera.

Two options spring to mind. The first is to find generally tame birds - I often stop to take pictures of swans, mallards and coots at a local park when I'm out walking with my family.

The second is to make a hide in your garden. I have a garage with a window just a couple of metres from my birdtable. With a bit of camo netting I have managed to sit taking photos for an hour or more, and this would be well within 200mm zoom range.

And finally, having recently gone through the same learning process re iso, aperture and shutter speed, I can support the recommendations above - get some good books from the local library, study them carefully, and take hundreds of pictures. There's no better way.

Nothing wrong with the pics as, at least, they all appear to be in focus which must be a good start.

hollis_f said:
Get a book called 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson. It'll explain all you need to know about the basics.

Then go out and play - try the same shot with different settings and see how they turn out. That's the magic of digital, you can make thousands of mistakes and it costs virtually nothing.
lol - my camera isn't digital. i might have a go with the hide idea. perhaps i could get a cheap tent and cut a slit in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back