• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Variable Phone Adapter (VPA) (1 Viewer)

Bitis

Austria
Hello,

is someone using the Swarovski VPA for digiscoping? I'm thinking about getting it and was wondering if someone uses it and may share their experience with it. Maybe durability (even it is purchasable for only about a year), easy to use?, how secure/firm/stable are phones in it, ...

thx a lot in advance and good birding! :)

I’d say save money and go with a Phoneskope adapter which does the job good enough.

Swaro VPA is too ‘1st gen’ for me. Bulky, fiddly, often slipping out of position when in bag etc. And no way would I risk this setup hanging upside down on a lanyard with an iPhone 8 Plus in it! Not secure enough. Only real plus side is future proofing if you buy a different size phone. For what it costs vs Phoneskope adapter (and I’m carrying both currently) I don’t recommend it.

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts!

I got the VPA some weeks ago and will share my thoughts!

The adjustments are real quick and easy to do, so you can change from phone to phone very fast if needed.

The biggest downside of the VPA is the adjustment for the vertical position of the camera! It opens so easily! So if you try to put the adapter on the scope and push on the metal ring sideways it opens and you have to readjust, which is really annoying when you need to take a picture quickly. On the other hand, if you know that, you can avoid pushing on that part and it is fine.
The body of the VPA is made of plastic but it seems to be durable, but this can only be cheked after some time of usage.
The metal ring, which is placed over the eye cap of the scope seems to be really durable and well made.

It only takes a second to place the phone in the adapter and to remove it again, thats a really well made mechanism. Once the phone is in the adapter it also seems to be really secure.

In my opinion, it is a good and useful adapter but way overprized!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back