• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrants arriving this week? (1 Viewer)

Dawn Balmer

At long last the winds have finally turned and warmer air is arriving from the south-west. Over the last few days Sand Martins and Wheatears have been trickling in and we expect more to arrive throughout the week. I saw my first Wheatear of the year today in Thetford.

Migration Watch is keen to receive records of all your summer migrants that you see or hear between now and the end of June. We’re not just interested in the first record of each species you record, we want as many of your records of migrants as possible so we can work out when the bulk of birds arrive and not just the first. You can enter all the birds you record on one of our specially designed lists.

At this time of year we are also keen to receive records of Fieldfare, Redwing and Brambling so we can map their departure towards their breeding grounds in Scandinavia. Have a look at the animated map for Fieldfare and help fill in the gaps
(http://blx1.bto.org/smw-dailyresults/results/anim-375-04.html).

To enter records visit the website www.bto.org/migwatch and register as a recorder if you are new to the project. If you have any difficulties please send an email to [email protected] and we will do our best to help you. Migration Watch is happy to receive all your birdwatching records during the spring whether you birdwatch from the garden, local nature reserve, whilst walking the dog or from a visit to the coast.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer

Thanks dawn have done. Listen out for those Redwing Flocks leaving the country. There must have been 1000's returning last night over Lowestoft. One lucky observer heard a Stone Curlew passing overhead. I have often heard Coots, Curlews & Lapwings during the night. there must be loads of birds up there.

CJ

We had two Chiffchaffs singing at The Nunnery in Thetford (Norfolk) this morning - they are 'new in'. Also a Wheatear yesterday.

The weather is so fantastic today it just makes you want to go out birding all day.

Dawn

Dawn Balmer said:
We had two Chiffchaffs singing at The Nunnery in Thetford (Norfolk) this morning - they are 'new in'. Dawn

Also the first singing Chiffchaff at Swithland Res (Leics) today, with 6 Sand Martins there yesterday.

Steve

been out at Dawn & what a morning I have had!

A considerable immigration of Jackdaws over Lowestoft with flocks no larger than 40 coming in them=n either flying north west, west or South. There were also some Carrion Crows with them. a few Woodpigeons were seen flying south along with Chaffinches & Goldfinches, Linnets wereflying north. There was also a considerable passage of Fulmars North.

On Gunton Warren I though I saw a dog walker put up a wheatear. An hour scanning the beach produced a cracking Male. Finally a singing Chiffchaff was in the woodland.

Phew what a morning!

I saw a sparrow (i couldn't ID so I posted a thread, and dacol said it was a chipping sparrow). If the sparrow was indeed a chipping sparrow, the bird would have been the first migrant bird in our area. However the chipping sparrow is in New York in the summer, not the winter... So this is really confusing for me...

Depends, They could be a local immigration or they could indeed be migrants. After my experience this morning I would say they were migrants

1000's of waders at Breydon Water Today mainly winter plumaged birds including Black tailed Godwit, Grey Plover & Dunlin

Hi all,
STILL haven't seen any migrants this year so far!Will be out tomorrow,hope to remedy that.
Harry
P.S.I have seen migrant species this year,such as LRP,Hume's etc....

Decent numbers of Whooper Swans and Greylags starting to arrive in southern Iceland from the UK and Ireland. No reports of Pink-footed or White-fronted Geese just yet, another week or two for them usually.

E

Last edited:
peteh said:
.... through the gale force winds.....

The weather forecasters are wrong again - they said today's winds wouldn't be as strong as yesterday - they must be joking!

I should think the migrants will be turning round and going straight back from where they came!

Aye
I was amazed when I saw the Wheatear happily flying against the wind.
I was struggling to stand up it was that strong.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back