• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

I told you Swarovski covered binoculars not purchased in the US. The 8X30 CL' s should be here any day. They were in NY city yesterday but I am in the Yucatan Pennisula birding and I won't get back into the states until Dec.11 so I will give a full report after that.

Dennis ..... So true but as Lee reminded, imports do not necessarily get provided the same level of service or coverage as SONA units. Anyone purchasing an import should factor the different treatment in to their purchasing decision and contact SONA with any questions or concerns in regards warranty of an imported unit.

Hi
Dennis ..... So true but as Lee reminded, imports do not necessarily get provided the same level of service or coverage as SONA units. Anyone purchasing an import should factor the different treatment in to their purchasing decision and contact SONA with any questions or concerns in regards warranty of an imported unit.
That could be but I have had both USA bought and foreign bought Swarovski binoculars serviced and I noticed no difference in service. In fact Swarovski sent me some free eye cups for my foreign purchased Habicht 8x30W. So speaking from actual experience I would not worry one bit about buying foreign. Swarovski is an excellent company when it comes to service.

Last edited:
Managed to spend half an hour comparing the old and new CL 8x30 and the EL SV 8x32 at lunch time today. Not enough time to really do them justice, but I completely agree with others here that the new model is a big improvement optically on the old one. As time was short I didn't attempt a systematic comparison, but the sharpness improvement was instantly obvious.

The new one is a curved field design as expected but the curve seems fairly shallow with only a hint of astignatism right at the edges and all the field feels usable. I did not spot any glare or CA issues with the light conditions at the time. The pincushion was fairly pronounced.

Ergonomically it was fine but not perfect for me. It was smaller and lighter than I'm used to and I needed to work a bit harder to hold it steady. Both the hinge and focus were perhaps a stiffer than I might think ideal, but perhaps it's to be expected straight out of the box. I wasn't keen on the press and twist dioptre mechanism. With glasses, I found it rather tricky to operate. The mechanism felt flimsy but worked fine once you found some way to access it.

Optically I found it very nice. Unlike the old one, I'd be really quite happy to use this one. Having said that, in terms of sharpness and contrast it's still one step short of the EL SV in my opinion. The colour balance of the CL was a shade warmer, but that's not a criticsm from me. The feeders were buzy down at Willow Farm today and the CL pulled out plenty of detail on all the finches and the goldfinch looked particularly spectacular. However the ELSV could still manage to pull out more plumage structural detail, but I guess you would hope to get something for the 60% higher price tag.

David

David,

When I hold the CL Companion, I get the steadiest view when I place my thumbs under the eyepieces and support the ends of my thumbs on my cheekbones while the binocular rests on my palms. This is a grip that seems to work well with smaller and lighter models.

On the diopter adjustment, I gave up trying to adjust it while viewing. It was too difficult and much easier to take them down, tweak, and look again. I'm not a fan of this type of adjustment.

On the image, the only thing I saw differently is the amount of pincushion distortion, but that is probably because I've mainly investigated the 10x model.

I know your trial was short, but do you think this kind of performance is possible without some kind of low dispersion glass type and without a rather sophisticated eyepiece design?

Kimmo

Kimmo,

I'm not sure I got the perfect grip while I was there, but yes with a little bit of prudent bracing against the face I got steady enough view.

I much prefer to optimise the dioptre while viewing, and I did managed to press and turn the dioptre button with the edge of my thumb in the end, but it certainly wasn't easy.

I'm not sure I really understand what you mean by "this kind of performance". I have occasionally seen comparable or even sharper views in fairly simple optical designs without ED glass, but the ones that come to mind didn't offer comparable colour rendition or size of sweet spot. I didn't go looking for CA in the time had, but viewing leafless twigs silhouetted against the cloud base didn't trouble me at the time. A more thorough test might have told a different story.

David

Last edited:
David,

Like you, I prefer to optimise diopter while viewing, and did manage to turn the diopter while viewing. It was so awkward, however, and while pressing and turning it the binocular shakes so much, that with this binocular I much prefer the tweak and then look method.

By this kind of performance, I meant just the CA control and flatness of field/freedom from off-axis aberrations. For my eyes, the particular 10x30 I have on loan appears very sharp, but I haven't measured it yet and will not declare anything more about its relative merits with sharpness and contrast until I do.

Kimmo

Diopter adjustment is not a big deal for me since both of my eyes are 20/20 and are the same. The Swarovski 8x30 CL has arrived from Germany. As soon as I get back to the states from the Yucatan I will post my impressions of it. It is sounding like it is quite the bins though.

Kimmo, post 184,
I have had the new 8x30 and 10x30 for some weeks to investigate and I did not experience the problems you describe with the diopter ring. Take the binocular firmly in your right hand to deliver a strong grip (I am right-handed) and press the diopter wheel with the index finger of your left hand and turn it to the desired position; that is as we say in Dutch : "it is a whistle of a penny" and there is hardly any shaking involved, so I did not experience a problem.
Something else I found is that the diopter ring of the old Companions has a high turning resistance and is sometimes quite difficult to turn certainly at lower temperatures. That can be quite disturbing, so, I prefer the diopter construction of the new Companions.
Gijs van Ginkel

Well, I got back from the Yucatan and the new Swarovski 8x30 CL's were waiting for me. They are anthracite with the Wild Nature bag and strap option. I have to say the accessories are typical Swarovski quality meaning top-notch. The case is very nice and not too big with a double zipper and the strap attaches with velcro which works better than those clips some manufacturers use. The strap is nicely padded and I think the Field Pro attachment system is great. The strap swivels around on it and it was so easy to attach the strap and the length is easily adjustable and not too long like many straps. I think once you try the Field Pro attachment system you wouldn't want to go back to the older systems. The rainguard and objective covers work perfectly and again are typical high Swarovski quality. I had no problem with the diopter adjustment and in fact I think it is quite ingenious. Swarovski finally got the focus right on this binocular. It is perfect tension and very smooth. Yeah Swarovski! The ergonomics of this little 8x30 are to me better than the previous model giving you a little more room to wrap your hands around it. The eye cups have no in between click stops. They are either fully in or out but there is enough friction there that they will hold in any infinite position in between. For me the full out locked position worked perfect for with my eyes fully inserted into the eyecups with NO BLACKOUTS! What I don't understand is how they make these perform exit pupil wise like an 8x42. I have never experienced a binocular that you can change the eye relief with the eye cups and STILL get no blackouts. Swarovski must be using some optical wizardry to accomplish this. These new 8x30 CL's are less finicky , as far as, eye placement then the 8x32 SV's if that is possible. Now to the optics. These 8x30 CL's are really good. In fact so good that as others have said they might cannabilize some of Swarovski's sales on the 8x32 SV. It surprised me how close they were to the bigger 8x32 SV with better glare control to boot and are able to still maintain a smaller form factor and lighter weight at 17.5 oz. In fact even the edges are almost as sharp as the 8x32 SV's and the FOV and sweet spot feels almost as big. I compared them to my Nikon 8x30 EII's on the morning sun and I found the glare control about the same but the contrast on the CL's were better. Much better. CA control was as good if not a little better than the EII's. On-axis sharpness is excellent being a little sharper than the EII's. Also, the new CL's are bright,very bright especially for a 30mm. As others have said these are going to be a big seller for Swarovski especially with the option to choose different cases and straps. These are the first 30mm binocular I think you could use as a primary birding binocular and that is saying it all. Well done Swarovski.

Last edited:
Well, I got back from the Yucatan and the new Swarovski 8x30 CL's were waiting for me. They are anthracite with the Wild Nature bag and strap option. I have to say the accessories are typical Swarovski quality meaning top-notch. The case is very nice and not too big with a double zipper and the strap attaches with velcro which works better than those clips some manufacturers use. The strap is nicely padded and I think the Field Pro attachment system is great. The strap swivels around on it and it was so easy to attach the strap and the length is easily adjustable and not too long like many straps. I think once you try the Field Pro attachment system you wouldn't want to go back to the older systems. The rainguard and objective covers work perfectly and again are typical high Swarovski quality. I had no problem with the diopter adjustment and in fact I think it is quite ingenious. Swarovski finally got the focus right on this binocular. It is perfect tension and very smooth. Yeah Swarovski! The ergonomics of this little 8x30 are to me better than the previous model giving you a little more room to wrap your hands around it. The eye cups have no in between click stops. They are either fully in or out but there is enough friction there that they will hold in any infinite position in between. For me the full out locked position worked perfect for with my eyes fully inserted into the eyecups with NO BLACKOUTS! Swarovski must be using some optical wizardry to accomplish this. These new 8x30 CL's are less finicky , as far as, eye placement then the 8x32 SV's if that is possible. Now to the optics. These 8x30 CL's are really good. In fact so good that as others have said they might cannabilize some of Swarovski's sales on the 8x32 SV. It surprised me how close they were to the bigger 8x32 SV with better glare control to boot and are able to still maintain a smaller form factor and lighter weight at 17.5 oz. In fact even the edges are almost as sharp as the 8x32 SV's and the FOV and sweet spot feels almost as big. I compared them to my Nikon 8x30 EII's on the morning sun and I found the glare control about the same but the contrast on the CL's were better. Much better. CA control was as good if not a little better than the EII's. On-axis sharpness is excellent being a little sharper than the EII's. Also, the new CL's are bright,very bright especially for a 30mm. As others have said these are going to be a big seller for Swarovski especially with the option to choose different cases and straps. These are the first 30mm binocular I think you could use as a primary birding binocular and that is saying it all. Well done Swarovski.

Nice review Dennis...thanks!

Curious...do you find focus speed typical of the EL's (about 2 turns from CF to 100m, + another 1\2 turn to infinity)? Have you yet measured (or anyone else) the focus rotational turns of the new CL from CF to 100m, then infinity?

Ted

Ted, post 191,
It takes about 1,5 turns from close focus to infinity or the other way around, that is a tiny bit faster then it was for the "old" CL Companions. The measured focussing speed is the same for the 8x30 and the 10x30 Companions.
Gijs van Ginkel

From 10 meters to infinity about 120 degrees on the focus wheel. I like to use this rather than closest to infinity since closest focusing distance varies a lot between binoculars and there is a lot of wheel rotation in the range from, say, 3 meters to 1.5 meters.

120 degrees for 10m - infinity places the CL in the "somewhat slow but accurate" focussing camp.

Kimmo

What is interesting to me is this "Optical Box" on the new CL 8x30. I have never experienced a binocular that has such a wide range of focus. You can change your eye position a LOT without experiencing blackouts. It is almost like having a much larger exit pupil in a much smaller binocular. To me this is ground breaking technology and makes using a smaller aperture binocular like the CL 8x30 much more attractive. You don't need an 8x42 anymore for comfort or brightness. This little 8x30 is as bright as a lot of 42mm binoculars I have used. It is like a 30mm on steroids. This will be controversial but I much prefer the optics of the smaller Swarovski CL 8x30 to the bigger Nikon Monarch MHG 8x42 which I just had. It has sharper edges, better contrast, it was sharper on-axis and had a more relaxed view with less distortion. Also, the new CL 8x30 doesn't have any RB like the SV 8x32 or the other Swarovision's.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

Last edited:
What is interesting to me is this "Optical Box" on the new CL 8x30. I have never experienced a binocular that has such a wide range of focus. You can change your eye position a LOT without experiencing blackouts. It is almost like having a much larger exit pupil in a much smaller binocular. To me this is ground breaking technology and makes using a smaller aperture binocular like the CL 8x30 much more attractive. You don't need a n 8x42 anymore for comfort or brightness. This little 8x30 is as bright as a lot of 42mm binoculars I have used. It is like a 30mm on steroids.

Dennis,

Regarding this "Optical Box" in the new CL 8x30 and whether it is "ground breaking technology" or not; I have found that I can change my eye position a LOT while I am using my Pentax 9x32 DCF BC binocular. (Its new designation is the AD 9x32 WP.) It is a $300.00 binocular, made in the Philippines, and is basically a clone of Frank D's famous Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32.

https://pentax.com.au/products/62791#tabs-3

This is the only binocular I have ever been able to put into my eye sockets and not get blackouts. I can move it around and brace it at various points on my brow ridge and still see the entire FOV. I also have never experienced a binocular with such a wide range of focus.

I doubt if this so called "Optical Box" is new technology. Something else is going on here.

Bob

Last edited:
Dennis,

Regarding this "Optical Box" in the new CL 8x30 and whether it is "ground breaking technology" or not; I have found that I can change my eye position a LOT while I am using my Pentax 9x32 DCF BC binocular. (Its new designation is the AD 9x32 WP.) It is a $300.00 binocular, made in the Philippines, and is basically a clone of Frank D's famous Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32.

This is the only binocular I have ever been able to put into my eye sockets and not get blackouts. I can move it around and brace it at various points on my brow ridge and still see the entire FOV. I also have never experienced a binocular with such a wide range of focus.

I doubt if this so called "Optical Box" is new technology. Something else is going on here.

Bob
That is interesting because I tried the Pentax 9x32 DCF BC binocular and I got a lot of blackouts so maybe it is just how the binocular works for you but I get less blackouts with the CL 8x30 than I did with the SV 8x32. The CL 8x30 is the only binocular I have experienced that with. Anyway it works good for me. I would have to say the Swarovski 8x30 CL is the most perfect binocular and binocular package I have ever purchased. From case to strap to objective covers to rainguard and to optics I have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Bob

My experience with the sightron mirrors yours Bob. I could move my eyes all around the field and get no blackouts, something that I haven't been able to do with any other binocular. I would have kept those, but I think the eye cups sealed too well to my face because the lenses fogged up rather easily (on the outside).

My experience with the sightron mirrors yours Bob. I could move my eyes all around the field and get no blackouts, something that I haven't been able to do with any other binocular. I would have kept those, but I think the eye cups sealed too well to my face because the lenses fogged up rather easily (on the outside).
Interesting I have never heard of an eyecup sealing up too well but I had the same fogging problem using those Field Optics winged eyecups.

Last edited:

Michael,

I am glad to hear from someone else who experienced the same lack of blackouts I did while using my Pentax 9x32 clone of the Sightron.

Perhaps the man from Swarovski who told Jan van Daalen that in the new 8x30 CL Companion, Swarovski, "by widening the incoming light ray (they) managed to implant an 'optical box' " which negated black outs was correct! See posts 48 and 49 in this thread.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back