• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (3 Viewers)

Jack & Marinemaster

Don't forget you can get blackouts or similar when the eye relief is too much for you as well as too little. If you wear spectacles screw the eyecups back up a little and then a little more to test out if this might work for you.

Lee

I have a lot of trouble with blackouts also. I think it is because I have shallow eye sockets. Let us know how the new CL's work for you.

Last edited:
He said the very same thing about the first generation CL.

Kevin, he is the one who is dazed and confused.....

Jerry
I did like the first generation CL's although some people said they were not "true" Swarovski's. The only thing I didn't like was I wished they were a little less finicky as far as eye placement and they needed a slightly larger FOV. I have also had some Swarovski's that had sticky focusers in the past but they seem to have corrected all those problems in this new CL. The new CL's are really a nice little 8x30. Don't judge the binocular until you try it like I have in the field. Even the first generation CL's were liked by many people. Here is a review from the Greatest Binoculars on the first generation.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski-CL-Companion-8x30-109.htm

Last edited:
I'm probably not gonna "trade up" to the new CL....I like mine just fine. I'm still .....I won't use the word "AMAZED" but really impressed with it! For a small "travel-sized" binocular...it certainly fills the bill and then some!

The big difference in the new CL versus the old CL is the FOV. I think if you tried one Chuck you would appreciate the difference. It comes close to the SV 8x32 in a lot of respects and is a better at handling glare. It could be used for a full timer especially when you are hiking around a lot.

I did like the first generation CL's although some people said they were not "true" Swarovski's. The only thing I didn't like was I wished they were a little less finicky as far as eye placement and they needed a slightly larger FOV. I have also had some Swarovski's that had sticky focusers in the past but they seem to have corrected all those problems in this new CL. The new CL's are really a nice little 8x30. Don't judge the binocular until you try it like I have in the field. Even the first generation CL's were liked by many people. Here is a review from the Greatest Binoculars on the first generation.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski-CL-Companion-8x30-109.htm

Dennis,

Interesting read. From the article:

"Researching all the marketing material, it is obvious that Swarovski Optik had a clear objective with the CL Companion series: The aim was to produce a compact, lightweight binocular at a lower price point that would appeal to a broader spectrum than their top tier models, but still retain as much of the exceptional precision and quality that they are renowned for and thus not cheapen their brand."

I'm wondering what percentage of CL owners are also alpha or top tier owners??? I bet it is very high.

CG

I bet it is high too. They have a bigger alpha and they want a compact for travel or hiking or for the wife so they buy a CL because they like the reputation and brand name of Swarovski. If they can afford $2500 what's another $1000 to drop on a CL .

Last edited:
The big difference in the new CL versus the old CL is the FOV. I think if you tried one Chuck you would appreciate the difference. It comes close to the SV 8x32 in a lot of respects and is a better at handling glare. It could be used for a full timer especially when you are hiking around a lot.

I don't doubt that for one second!

If that really were the big difference, I'd give the new CL a pass. The old version was mediocre at best, the new one clearly isn't.

Hermann
Hermann. That was one of the biggest differences I noticed upon trying the new CL. You are correct in that there are a lot of other optical improvements and other improvements. The new CL is without a doubt a greatly improved binocular.

Curious if anyone who has experience with both the new 8x30 CL B and the Monarch 8x30 and wears glasses cares to comment on eye relief? I have recently gotten the Monarch 7 and find it optically wonderful for the price, love the extremely small size and light weight, but the eye relief is just on the border for me with my glasses. I can get the full field of view but have to place the bins just perfectly and press my glasses in a touch. Curious if the Swaro's really do better with this "eyebox" design or if the 16mm with robust Swaro eyecups means that I'd be in just about the same position...

Pbjosh,

I've tried the M7 on many occasions, and with my glasses the 15.1mm ER is quite comfortable but with nothing to spare. I've spent spent only about 20 minutes with the CL and there was definitely more room, and I could get the start of blackouts if I pressed too hard against my glasses. I found I could twist out the eyecups a little but really didn't test the limits. I don't know how to interpret the comments on the 'eyebox' design, but but for me it had a relaxed view, but that might be no more than sitting more squarely against my glasses than some models.

David

Thanks for the feedback David. We'll see how I get on with the Monarch as time goes on. I think if it had 1mm more usable eye relief or if I had slightly different glasses it would be much less effort. I am contemplating taking apart or removing the (apparently non-removable) eyecups and seeing if I can eke out the extra mm of eye relief.

I'd like to check out the CL but I doubt I'll see one in the next month in California. My next opportunity will likely be in Germany in July/August. However for my intended use I don't think I'd particularly want a better and more expensive binocular, I want something that I won't have to take such good care of, that can get stuffed into pockets and backpacks without a case or objective covers, that can ride in the map pocket of a vehicle, etc. In that regard the Monarch is near perfect.

Cheers again,
Josh

I expect this to be a long shot since these are so new, but can anyone give a comparison between the new CL 8x30 and the Kowa genesis 8x33 as far as optics go and ease of use for non-eyeglass wearers? I have been looking for a lighter binocular around 8x32 for travel and these are at the top of my list for what I'd like to spend. I'd get an EII but my wife already has one, and a little variety is always nice. Thank you all.

I expect this to be a long shot since these are so new, but can anyone give a comparison between the new CL 8x30 and the Kowa genesis 8x33 as far as optics go and ease of use for non-eyeglass wearers? I have been looking for a lighter binocular around 8x32 for travel and these are at the top of my list for what I'd like to spend. I'd get an EII but my wife already has one, and a little variety is always nice. Thank you all.
I had the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and I have the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If you are looking for a lighter binocular for travel I would tend to lean towards the CL because it is smaller and lighter. It is ideal for travel. Most 32mm's including the Kowa are going to be bigger and heavier than the CL and after using the CL for a few weeks now I think it will perform with just about any 32mm even the SV 8x32 or the Kowa. It has very easy eye placement for a 30mm aperture in fact better than some 32mm's I have had. The Kowa is an excellent binocular although it didn't work for me optically but it may for you. One big difference between the two which makes me prefer the CL is the sharpness of the edges and the size of the sweet spot. The CL is almost Swarovsion sharp to the edge meaning tack sharp and has a much larger sweet spot almost the full FOV, whereas, the Kowa has much softer edges and a relatively small sweet spot. I would try them both if you can when the CL becomes available in the US to decide for yourself. But if I had to recommend one it would be the new CL. It is a much improved binocular over the old CL. The FP strap attachment is very cool as are the objective covers, rainguard, strap and case. It is IMO a perfect compact travel binocular. Plus you get two choices of binocular colors and three case and strap combinations choices. How cool is that! Here is a good review on the Kowa.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Kowa8x33.htm

Last edited:
I had the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and I have the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If you are looking for a lighter binocular for travel I would tend to lean towards the CL because it is smaller and lighter. It is ideal for travel. Most 32mm's including the Kowa are going to be bigger and heavier than the CL and after using the CL for a few weeks now I think it will perform with just about any 32mm even the SV 8x32 or the Kowa. It has very easy eye placement for a 30mm aperture in fact better than some 32mm's I have had. The Kowa is an excellent binocular although it didn't work for me optically but it may for you. One big difference between the two which makes me prefer the CL is the sharpness of the edges and the size of the sweet spot. The CL is almost Swarovsion sharp to the edge meaning tack sharp and has a much larger sweet spot almost the full FOV, whereas, the Kowa has much softer edges and a relatively small sweet spot. I would try them both if you can when the CL becomes available in the US to decide for yourself. But if I had to recommend one it would be the new CL. It is a much improved binocular over the old CL. The FP strap attachment is very cool as are the objective covers, rainguard, strap and case. It is IMO a perfect compact travel binocular. Plus you get two choices of binocular colors and three case and strap combinations choices. How cool is that! Here is a good review on the Kowa.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Kowa8x33.htm

Thank you for your thoughts Dennis. I will probably order both when the CL becomes available in the US and compare them. They both sound like they have a lot going for them. Ergonomics wise I am guessing the Kowa would suit me better. I have tried the Monarch 7 8x30 and was not sold on how it felt in my hands, but the new CL looks a little different. I will try to keep an open mind.

Thank you for your thoughts Dennis. I will probably order both when the CL becomes available in the US and compare them. They both sound like they have a lot going for them. Ergonomics wise I am guessing the Kowa would suit me better. I have tried the Monarch 7 8x30 and was not sold on how it felt in my hands, but the new CL looks a little different. I will try to keep an open mind.
No problem. Best way is to try them both. There both good. You might be surprised how well the CL's fit your hands.

The Kowa 8x33 is an absolute gem of a bino and gets close to Zeiss's FL in controlling chromatic aberration. My wife is a Leica girl but I have noticed that if she ever wants to pick up a different bino to take out (not often) the one she goes for is the Kowa.

Lee

The Kowa 8x33 is an absolute gem of a bino and gets close to Zeiss's FL in controlling chromatic aberration. My wife is a Leica girl but I have noticed that if she ever wants to pick up a different bino to take out (not often) the one she goes for is the Kowa.

Lee

I just read your review again Lee--very well written. The high contrast, CA control, and telecaster focus wheel are sounding pretty good. I just hope they'll work for me and my picky blackout prone eyes/face.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back