• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

considering getting a recorder, what should I buy...? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your reply and looking forward to your tests!

In the meantime I bought a 2ndhand ls-11 on fleabay. Besides the raving reviews everywhere, I saw on yt a comparison between that, ls-14 and tascam dr-40 in which the ls-11 sounded remarkably well (bird chirp on the background verrry clear). Besides that I read Olympus has gone down the bells-and-whistles road with almost too much options for a simple recording person like me. And the added 3rd mic to enhance low sounds seems unnecessary to me for bird sounds (besides a bitter maybe).

Now deciding between a windjammer from Rycote or Gutmann.

Hi Ivel,

I have an LS 12 but it is rather slow to start up. I use it with a regular Sennheizer microphone.
I want a back up recorder, a simple one that I can just pull out quickly and do an immediate recording. The reason being is that I mostly go birding and have the camera with me, thus it takes time to get the recording gear ready as I dismantle it every time I use it.

My quesiton is. Can you recommend something. My friend uses a Sony cheap version and I am surprised how well it performs. But I now see many talk about Tascam. This is not all that important as it would mostly be when I dont have time to use my regular gear but something for immediate use.
Thank you for any input.

Peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back