• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 18-400 (2 Viewers)

coopershawk

Hi all,

For some background, I've been shooting with an RX10 IV for a while and enjoy it, but I recently learned of the existence of the Tamron 18-400. I do have a Nikon SLR and was thinking about the possibility of selling my RX10 IV and buying the Tamron, putting some money back in my pocket. Has anyone used this lens and can comment on its performance or give some sample images, particularly at 400mm wide open?

Thanks all!

-Michael

I haven't used it, but did research it for a friend once (ironically as an alternative to the Sony RX10 III which clearly has a better quality faster lens and was the ultimate choice - the IV version is better again with a handy upgrade for BIF). Have a look at the many lens test sites. Such a generalist lens as the 18-400 doesn't stack up too well at the extremities of its range wide open.The 100-400's do much better for example.

Chosun :gh:

What Chosun said is what I've heard too. I have not used the 18-400 or the 100-400, but all the reviews I've seen are not favorable to the 18-400. It is not super sharp and the autofocus is not too snappy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back