• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallards, hybird mallards, and just downright manky domestic mallards (1 Viewer)

Charlie M

Hi All,

I know this has been covered at various times on BF so aplogies for returning to an old subject, but I regularly get mails from birders asking me to ID "mystery ducks" that almost invariably turn out to be some sort of genetically mangled or domesticated breed of Mallard. I'm always happy to answer if I can, but I've decided that the most helpful thing I could do (and the easiest for me in the long run) is to put together a page on my blog (at http://www.charliesbirdblog.com/~charlie/mankymallards/mankymallards.html) with as many photos of these 'odd ducks' as possible that I can point people to - so, if anyone has photos of ducks that are just about recognisable as having come from a Mallard at some time in the dim and distant and would be kind enough to mail me with them I'd be very grateful...

Alternatively, if you've had similar mails and have already made such a page and would like a link to it, please let me know.

Cheers!

Charlie

www.charliesbirdblog.com

That's a great idea!

It's been quite the challenge all summer trying to figure out "who's who" in this duck population I've been photographing. Most definately the Mallards have been mixing with the American Black Ducks ... and so with all the maturing offspring plus the fall migrants gathering ... it's quite the challenge!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back