• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying birds in flight from their flight style (1 Viewer)

lazza

Anyone know if there are any good video guides for identifying UK species in flight? I'm thinking of, for example, how to differentiate between the different finch species or the different thrushes by their flight style.

Are there any good comparison videos on youtube, or elsewhere? I've worked my way through a lot of the BTO videos, which are good for general identification of similar species, but would rather like to brush up on identifying over-flying species that I don't get a good look at, where possible.

Thanks!

Anyone know if there are any good video guides for identifying UK species in flight? I'm thinking of, for example, how to differentiate between the different finch species or the different thrushes by their flight style.

Are there any good comparison videos on youtube, or elsewhere? I've worked my way through a lot of the BTO videos, which are good for general identification of similar species, but would rather like to brush up on identifying over-flying species that I don't get a good look at, where possible.

Thanks!
For overflying passerines you will be better off learning calls.
Good luck
Russ

I am afraid none exists. But if somebody made one (even of amateur/youtube quality) this would fill a gap on the market!

One birding friend was writing a flight guide to European landbirds some years ago, but AFAIK nothing came out of it.

Oh well, it was worth a try. The reason I asked is that I'm starting to notice more and more the difference in flight style of similar birds. At the moment, we get a few mistle thrush in our garden competing with the local blackbirds. However, often the view is not good as the garden looks south and the sun is usually very low, so all I see is a silhouette. But in flight, the two species are very noticeably different, so even a silhouette can be differentiated! We also get a few different finches, and it would be nice to be able to identify their silhouettes in flight also, but that's beyond me so far!

It's fully possible, Chaffinch and Brambling have long tails and fly with long and shallow dips, etc etc.

I am sure it's possible.... but is there anything online that can help me learn.... or just repeated experience?

I am sure it's possible.... but is there anything online that can help me learn.... or just repeated experience?

I have not come across anything online so it may be just experience. I am sure some of the top vis miggers are very good.

I have not come across anything online so it may be just experience. I am sure some of the top vis miggers are very good.

Fair enough :)

One day, just maybe, I hope I'll be able to make that report of "a mixed flock of redwing and fieldfare flew over the car on the motorway".... rather than "ooh, look, lots of birds over the motorway"...! :-O

Fair enough :)

One day, just maybe, I hope I'll be able to make that report of "a mixed flock of redwing and fieldfare flew over the car on the motorway".... rather than "ooh, look, lots of birds over the motorway"...! :-O

That is certainly possible, just keep plugging away.

There is an old (RSPB?) book called 'what's that bird' or something similar which includes flights views and notes on jizz for the regular uk birds. A4 size, sorry can't find a link.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back