• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ1000: Video AF grabs <=> Still AF shots (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

Why is it when I'm pulling frames from 4K FZ1000 videos the reach-in object is most often clear, foreground object is properly blurred as expected to be?

However, when shooting stills with AF it's next to impossible to reach in and get a clear image?

What is it I don't understand, they're both being shot in AF?

I think I need a little translation here. Reach in objects, is that a small bird behind some branches or something like that?

Do you have face detection active in the video AF settings but not in the settings for stills AF (or some other difference in settings)?

Niels

Yes sir, that's exactly what I meant by "reach-in".

Face recognition is off in stills and as far as I can tell not an option with video.

I wasn't paying attention to my setting, memory lapse on my part. Checking, I have Continuous AF - OFF in video and AFS/AFF set to AFS in stills. This may be the determining factor.

I'll try to get a couple side-by-side sample photos of the same subject (bird). I wasn't prepared for discussion, thought maybe it was an advance intelligent ( i ) mode of the camera, something I've over looked all this time.

If I was to make an artificial intelligence function for the camera, I would make it more likely to focus on rounded shapes (faces etc) than to sticks. So if your video setting includes some type of AI focus, that could explain what is going on?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back