• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Horseshoe Bat (1 Viewer)

Britseye

Was patrolling my moth traps until well after midnight last night and thought I'd nip into the outside loo so as not to wake the rest of the household. Not sure who got the biggest shock when I turned the light on.

Attachments

• P1060415 (3).jpg
    P1060415 (3).jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Fantastic record, you must be chuffed to bits. Be interesting to find out whether it is a temporary stop or a regular roost.

Also, good job it was the outside loo - if I'd found a bat that size in my house I'd have needed the loo myself! 3:)

John

Fantastic record, you must be chuffed to bits. Be interesting to find out whether it is a temporary stop or a regular roost.

John

I am John, thanks. I've actually got an amazing two-minute video of two of them preening (and pissing!) prior to departure; too big to upload here. I know very very little about bats, but a brief Internet search yesterday pointed me in the direction of maybe learning a bit more about their ecology to try and answer your question.

I am John, thanks. I've actually got an amazing two-minute video of two of them preening (and pissing!) prior to departure; too big to upload here. I know very very little about bats, but a brief Internet search yesterday pointed me in the direction of maybe learning a bit more about their ecology to try and answer your question.

Put it on Youtube and post a link here?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back