• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Jose Costa Rica birdhouse (1 Viewer)

gabrielbenson

HI all.. I am looking to build a bird house for my niece who lives in San Jose. I was wondering what dimensions the bird house should be to have the best chance at attracting arboreal inhabitants. Thanks

Hi Gabrielbenson
Thats an interesting question. I do know that there are English House Sparrows in San Jose so any bird house would have to have ways of thwarting a foreigner takeover. Haven't done any searches so I'm not sure if there is a way so perhaps a standard entrance size for medium sized songbirds.
If you want to ensure there are no English Sparrow invasion you can build the house with House Wrens in mind. They are smaller so can squeeze into a smaller entrance.
There is a large population of Blue Grey Tanagers and Scarlet-Rumped Tanagers (a tad bigger) there which would be welcome house guests for your niece.

Lots of different species of birds acclimated to urban life there, I even saw a Amazon Kingfisher in downtown San Jose once

Sorry, thats all I've got.
Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back