Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fluid head for 2.5 kg scope

Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 19:45   #1
Boogieshrew

Fluid head for 2.5 kg scope

Hi,
Iím looking cf tripod and I think Iím decided on https benro-mach3-tma27c legs but I am wondering if a Benro S2 video head or a Manfrotto Befree Live Fluid Head which are both very lightweight are up to the job of handling a 2.5kg Nikon EDG 85mm scope.

What do you think?

Any other suggestions at around 2kgs for the set up and about £300?

Thanks
Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 21:26   #2
jkingrph

Looking at the spec the BeFree supports 8.8 lbs and costs about $99 in the US. I went a couple of steps up and got the MHV500AH which supports 11 lbs. Cost was an extra $30. My 500 specs at 2 lbs weight, the BeFree weighs in at 0.8 lbs, so a 1.2 lb difference. I honestly do not notice the weight. My 500 is very smooth in all movements,but have never tried a BeFree so cannot make a comparison.
Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 22:32   #3
jring

Hi,

the S2 will be quite overloaded at 2.5kg. The Beefree Live is specced for 4kg max load, so it might actually work, but I would still recommend the 500AH because it has a counterbalance for 2.5kg and can be set up so your scope will stay put in every position but can still be moved smoothly with very little force.

Joachim
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 09:35   #4
Boogieshrew

Hi Joachim, I suspect your right about the S2. But as for the Befree Live , I checked them both out in a shop yesterday and the S2 was way more sturdy than the Befree. I’m was not at all convinced by the 4kg claim.
I’ll see if I can see the AH500 in the flesh next weekend.
The search continues. ��

I should have a look at the S4 because I thought the S2 is well built but probable not big enough for my EDG.

Last edited by Boogieshrew : Sunday 11th August 2019 at 09:40.
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 15:15   #5
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshrew View Post
Iíll see if I can see the AH500 in the flesh next weekend.
The search continues. ��
I should have a look at the S4 because I thought the S2 is well built but probable not big enough for my EDG.
Hi Martin ..... I highly recommend the MVH500AH Manfrotto. I use it with my Nikon EDG 65 with the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US(3 section) monopod. I know the 500AH is a little over kill for the EDG 65 but itís large mounting plate is the perfect fit for the long base of the Nikon EDG 65/85 scopes. Itís operation of use is easy/quick and provides a very large/stable base. .....gwen
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 15:26   #6
Boogieshrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Hi Martin ..... I highly recommend the MVH500AH Manfrotto. I use it with my Nikon EDG 65 with the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US(3 section) monopod. I know the 500AH is a little over kill for the EDG 65 but itís large mounting plate is the perfect fit for the long base of the Nikon EDG 65/85 scopes. Itís operation of use is easy/quick and provides a very large/stable base. .....gwen
Hi Gwen,

Thanks for the advice. I am persuaded. The 500AH it is.

Thereís no getting round the fact that a heavy scope needs heavy support.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Just need some funds from the for sale forum now! 😀
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 15:28   #7
gcole

Quote:
The long plate/500AH Manfrotto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AD3A03B-A5D8-4800-9CF1-9ABA250575F5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	701953  Click image for larger version

Name:	2476AA9E-30EA-45F8-8C2E-54A6F4254060.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	701954  
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 15:31   #8
Boogieshrew

Quote:
The long plate/500AH Manfrotto
Oh yes. I can see photo 1 shows how the whole foot of the scope is supported.
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 16:57   #9
gcole

Quote:
Oh yes. I can see photo 1 shows how the whole foot of the scope is supported.
This set up is perfect for my needs, I do not spend a lot of time with it at any one spot. Itís easily laid down if needed and no messing around with multiple legs. I can easily keep it steady.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F854AAF-17C6-4B03-8E81-39DD88498741.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	701958  
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 16:00   #10
jkingrph

I am using a Kowa TSN 82SV scope on my Manfrotto 500ah head, mounted on a Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod. It's all very stable, and the tension adjustments keep the scope where I point it. As soon as the weather cools off here a bit, we are pushing 100 F now, i plan on trying some Digiscoping using my iPhone 7, but it's just too hot to get out now.

I actually made a spacer and mounted a Manfrotto 323 adapter plate on the 500p plate. That way i use the smaller Manfrotto plates across my mounting accessories. I have a couple of special scope stands that clamp onto a bench for my target shooting, where a tripod would be in the way. I also put a smaller plate on my camera, which is much handier than if i had to have one of the larger plates. So far it seems to be working well.

Last edited by jkingrph : Monday 12th August 2019 at 16:04.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 19:53   #11
Boogieshrew

Good to know. I am still half considering the Manfrotto 190 CX pro. I think that and the 500AH will be about 2.5kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
I am using a Kowa TSN 82SV scope on my Manfrotto 500ah head, mounted on a Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod. It's all very stable, and the tension adjustments keep the scope where I point it. As soon as the weather cools off here a bit, we are pushing 100 F now, i plan on trying some Digiscoping using my iPhone 7, but it's just too hot to get out now.

I actually made a spacer and mounted a Manfrotto 323 adapter plate on the 500p plate. That way i use the smaller Manfrotto plates across my mounting accessories. I have a couple of special scope stands that clamp onto a bench for my target shooting, where a tripod would be in the way. I also put a smaller plate on my camera, which is much handier than if i had to have one of the larger plates. So far it seems to be working well.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 21:28   #12
jring

A scopac or similar is highly recommended and you won't notice the weight.

Joachim
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 22:29   #13
jkingrph

Quote:
Good to know. I am still half considering the Manfrotto 190 CX pro. I think that and the 500AH will be about 2.5kg.
I went with the 190 Go m series, carbon fiber. Twist lock legs which I like , basically because it was the type on my first tripod 47 years ago. According to Manfrotto specs, my combo weighs in at 2.25KG
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 05:47   #14
Boogieshrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
A scopac or similar is highly recommended and you won't notice the weight.

Joachim
Yes I have a mule pack which is the same but I donít like the top heavy weight of having the scope at head height.
I am going to see if I can make some sort of backpack strap arrangement with the scope at the base. With the closed tripod upside down and the scope forming an inverted T shape.
Until now I have always carried my scope by a single strap on one shoulder.
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 05:58   #15
Boogieshrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinh View Post
I went with the 190 Go m series, carbon fiber. Twist lock legs which I like , basically because it was the type on my first tripod 47 years ago. According to Manfrotto specs, my combo weighs in at 2.25KG
Hi, I decided against the Go tripods because I want 3 section legs. More stable, thicker section at the foot and quicker to put up and take down.

I could go for the Manfrotto 190 Carbon Fibre 3-Section Tripod perhaps.
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 06:52   #16
jring

Hi,

Quote:
Yes I have a mule pack which is the same but I donít like the top heavy weight of having the scope at head height.
well, I got used to it... but I never really tried it differently, so no comparison.

Quote:
Hi, I decided against the Go tripods because I want 3 section legs. More stable, thicker section at the foot and quicker to put up and take down.
That is a wise decision!

Joachim
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 00:34   #17
jkingrph

I also have a 057 carbon fiber 4 section leg with geared centered column. It's massive and extremely stable, the downside being weight. It will be used around the house and property or out of the back of my truck. It weighs 8.2 lbs without a head so not much carrying on this baby. I can tell the difference in stiffness when touching my scope. I do like the geared column to make easy adjustments for viewing height. I like the weight reduction of carbon fiber over aluminum, but it seems to me as weight goes up stiffness and stability improves.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 06:06   #18
Boogieshrew

Wow that’s a beast of a tripod! That’s got to be noticeably more stable than my 4.5 lb one.

I agree, there’s no denying that stability equates to weight.

I have never tried the trick of hanging a bag under the tripod.

How effective is that I wonder?
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 10:54   #19
jring

Quote:
I have never tried the trick of hanging a bag under the tripod.

How effective is that I wonder?
Hi,

this is quite effective - just make sure the bag cannot move around - you don't want to create a pendulum...

Joachim
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 18:46   #20
Boogieshrew

Yes. I think a pendulum could induce seasickness ��
Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 09:33   #21
safaridreaming

Hv you considered a Sirui VA-5 or Vh-10 heads. The va-5 is much small and compact but will still handle vh-10 is a bit bigger.

I use both on a Sirui R3213x tripod...
Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 19:58   #22
Boogieshrew

Hi, the sirui heads don't really have more to offer than the manfrotto 500ah and they cost more so not on my list. Look like good heads though but not for me.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: