• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Dakota (1 Viewer)

pburgers

Hello From South Dakota. My Name Is Paul Burgers And I Live In Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls Is In The Southeastern Part Of South Dakota. Some Of My Favorite Birding Spots In This Area Of The State Include Newton Hills State Park And Union Grove State Park, Both Of Which Are Great Spots For Spring Migrant Warblers, Thrushes, Vireos And The Like. There Is Also A Nature Conservancy Area Nearby That Can Be Very Good As Well. South Dakota Offers A Somewhat Unique Birding Situation In That The Eastern Part Of The State Offers Those Birds Considered To Be Eastern Species, The Central Portion Harbors Many Tall And Shortgrass Prairie Birds While The Western Portion Including The Black Hills Has Mostly Those Birds That Are Typically
Found In The Western Guides. The State Is Divided East From West By The Missouri River, Which In Fact Is Actually A Series Of Four Vast Impoundments, But Which Also Offer Their Own Birding Opportunities.
If Anyone Out There Is Ever Headed This Way And Is Interested, Drop Me An Email And I Would Be Delighted To Provide More Specific Information Regarding Birding Hotspots, Including The Black Hills. While I Live Nearly 400 Miles From Them I Am Very Familiar With Them And Know Some Very Fine Spots For Birding.

Paul,

My name is Joe Vano and I live in Rapid City. I've been a birder on an off for the last40 some years. This year I discovered digiscoping and love it. I put my 2MP cam on a scope and then bought a new scope and then bought a new 6MP camera. I just finished my adapter for the new camera and hope to post some of our birds in the next couple months. If you know of anyone near the Black Hills that is into digiscoping I would like to meet them or on one of your trips this way let me take a picture of your favorite bird.

Joe

pburgers said:
Hello From South Dakota. My Name Is Paul Burgers And I Live In Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls Is In The Southeastern Part Of South Dakota. Some Of My Favorite Birding Spots In This Area Of The State Include Newton Hills State Park And Union Grove State Park, Both Of Which Are Great Spots For Spring Migrant Warblers, Thrushes, Vireos And The Like. There Is Also A Nature Conservancy Area Nearby That Can Be Very Good As Well. South Dakota Offers A Somewhat Unique Birding Situation In That The Eastern Part Of The State Offers Those Birds Considered To Be Eastern Species, The Central Portion Harbors Many Tall And Shortgrass Prairie Birds While The Western Portion Including The Black Hills Has Mostly Those Birds That Are Typically
Found In The Western Guides. The State Is Divided East From West By The Missouri River, Which In Fact Is Actually A Series Of Four Vast Impoundments, But Which Also Offer Their Own Birding Opportunities.
If Anyone Out There Is Ever Headed This Way And Is Interested, Drop Me An Email And I Would Be Delighted To Provide More Specific Information Regarding Birding Hotspots, Including The Black Hills. While I Live Nearly 400 Miles From Them I Am Very Familiar With Them And Know Some Very Fine Spots For Birding.

Hi Paul and Welcome to birdforum.I look forward to maybe seeing some photo's and reading about life in your part of the world. It sounds like a wonderful place.Enjoy yourself. John.

Paul,

I realize that the message I am replying to is 4 years old, but taking the risk that you may still find this... My name is Dick Latuchie, and I live in Rapid City. Have just been getting into birding in more than a very casual way, and so would be interested in your hotspots in the Black Hills. I have gotten connected to a group called the Northern Hills Birding Club, and am learning alot on their trips twice a month. And my wife and I discovered Lacreek a few years ago, which was just amazing. Anyway, if you have any additional ideas for places to go, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Veagle

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back