• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Binoculars (1 Viewer)

LPT,

Do you know what kind of ocular the Nippon Kogaku 8x30 Type A has? You mention that the 9x35 has a 5-element Erfle.

I own an earlier Nippon Kogaku 8x30 Mikron, which looks the same as your Type A.

Thanks,
Ed

elkcub,
I have disassembled one and am almost positive it is five element, but not sure if it is technically an Erfle 5-element.
By the way, I recently got another A series 8X30 and for some reason it's optically quite a bit better than the first one. Flickr page updated a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
Simon,

Just about all the old 7x50's with 7-7.5 degree fields use 3 element Kellners. The eye lens is a cemented doublet.

I noticed that you recently bought an A-series 9x35. They made that one by simply combining the 8x30 A eyepiece with the 7x35 A objective. For some reason they didn't do the same thing with the E series, going instead with a different eyepiece to make a 10x35. You might want to look for multi-coated E series 8x30's and 7x35's which seem to go pretty cheaply on ebay (look for the green coatings and the modern leaning Nikon logo). With your tech skills you could make up your own fully multi-coated E-series 9x35 and 6x30 (neither of which Nikon ever marketed) just by switching the objectives between a 7x35 and 8x30. Both are very nice binoculars.

I also have a pair of those old Nikon "Feather-Weight" 7x50's. Wish I could find some eyecups for them.

Henry

Last edited:
Henry, thank you for your reply. I am looking to buy some of the E series, but they are few and far between over here. What are your thoughts on the old 7x50's?

Simon,

The only binocular I have that's roughly comparable to the Nikon 7x50 is a Leitz Marseptit from around 1960. The images are very similar as you would expect given that the optical designs are nearly the same. AFOV's and eye relief are essentially identical. Off-axis sharpness is similar. I can't really compare contrast, light transmission, etc. because the Nikon needs internal cleaning. The optics are so similar in most of these old 7x50's that I wouldn't expect big differences, unless something went wrong.

Ironically, the "Feather-Weight" Nikon comes across as a big bruiser compared to the Leitz. The Nikon weighs 1060g vs 920 for the Leitz. I took a photo of them together. The Nikon is taller and has curiously large eyepiece housings for the size of the eyepiece optics. Everything about the Leitz seems more delicate and finer, even the engraving on the prism cover.

I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the Nikon offerings from a 1985 brochure. They still had a Zeiss style 7x50 CF, but with rubber roll-down eyecups like the E series. The 12x40 was made by combining the 10x35 eyepiece with a 40mm objective. They could have made an 8x40 by combining the 7x35 eyepiece with the 40mm objective, but they never did.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_1201.JPG
    DSC_1201.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,347
  • DSC_1202.JPG
    DSC_1202.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 830
  • DSC_1203.JPG
    DSC_1203.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 763
Henry, thanks so much for all the wonderful information. I was using the 7x50 yesterday at work and the optics are really good, I think better than my Jenoptem T3M a really sharp view with close to perfect colour fidelity.
I have bought a pair of Nippon Nova's, the MIOJ eye focus model often found on the US ebay sites.

Simon,

The only binocular I have that's roughly comparable to the Nikon 7x50 is a Leitz Marseptit from around 1960. The images are very similar as you would expect given that the optical designs are nearly the same. AFOV's and eye relief are essentially identical. Off-axis sharpness is similar. I can't really compare contrast, light transmission, etc. because the Nikon needs internal cleaning. The optics are so similar in most of these old 7x50's that I wouldn't expect big differences, unless something went wrong.

Ironically, the "Feather-Weight" Nikon comes across as a big bruiser compared to the Leitz. The Nikon weighs 1060g vs 920 for the Leitz. I took a photo of them together. The Nikon is taller and has curiously large eyepiece housings for the size of the eyepiece optics. Everything about the Leitz seems more delicate and finer, even the engraving on the prism cover.

I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the Nikon offerings from a 1985 brochure. They still had a Zeiss style 7x50 CF, but with rubber roll-down eyecups like the E series. The 12x40 was made by combining the 10x35 eyepiece with a 40mm objective. They could have made an 8x40 by combining the 7x35 eyepiece with the 40mm objective, but they never did.

Henry

Ooh a 12x40, I wonder what the field of view was? Yes a 8x40 EII would also be an interesting concept

Paul

Last edited:
Additions to Vintage Binocular Collection

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on June 17/10:
1) Barr & Stroud CF 24 8X30.5
2) Bausch & Lomb U.S. NAVY BU.SHIPS MARK 28 MOD 0 7X50 with Variable Density Filter Attached
3) BBT Krauss Paris Grand champ décigrades 8X30
4) BBT Krauss Paris Modele 1933 Type 2 8X30 (views after restoration)
5) CAL No 5 CDN Mk 2/4 (Upgraded from REL C.G.B. 40 M.A.) 7X50
6) Hood Case for CAL No 5 CDN Mk 2/4 7X50
7) Huet Extra Lumineuse 7X (disassembled to show telemetric device in ocular) 7X22
8) Leitz Canada (ELCAN) 7X50B Civilian Model
9) REL C.G.B. 57 G.A. 7X50 (Fluorided, Canadian C/ Broad Arrow)
10) Ross BinoPrism No. 5 Mk IV 7X50
11) Tasco, Model No. 322 8X40
12) Zeiss Jena, DF 6x with case (captured by Canadian forces during battle for Lens generating station)

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture.

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

The new binoculars can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157624352652061/detail/
The entire collection including additions can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157623234405689/detail/

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on August 12/10:
1) Colmont 8X M.G.(Ministère de la Guerre) 8X23
2) Gundlach-Manahattan U.S. Navy 6X30
3) Hensoldt Wetzlar Armée Française (Diagon) 8X30
4) Kershaw Vanguard 10X50
5) KOMZ (Kazan Optical-Mechanical Factory) 6X30
6) Lemaire 8X Lumineuse Stereoscopique 8X24
7) REL C.G.B. 37 M.A. 6X30
8) REL C.G.B. 37 M.A. 6X30 Graticule
9) SRPI Puteaux M.le. 56 8X30

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture.

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157624645550061/detail/

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on October 14/10:
1) Barr & Stroud 10X CF.47, 10X49
2) BBT Krauss 312.26 MILLI 8X40
3) Bausch & Lomb Prism Marine U.S. Navy (experimental) 10X50
4) Hensoldt Wetzlar Marine-Dialyt 7X50 (with views of prism assembly)
5) J.D. Moeller Wedel Tourix 6X 6X22 (with views of prism assembly)
6) Kershaw Reliant 9X36 (Vanguard type internal focusing)
7) Kershaw Renown 7X30 (Vanguard type internal focusing)
8) Leitz Canada (ELCAN) 7X50B Civilian Model View of Schmidt-Pechan Prism Assembly
9) Nikon 7X35E CF
10) Spindler & Hoyer Gottinga 8X Modell B, 8X24
11) Warner & Swasey Prism Binocular Power 6 6X20.5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157625321762320/detail/

And my wishes for a healthy and happy New Year to the members of this forum.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Nice photstream too!

6) Kershaw Reliant 9X36 (Vanguard type internal focusing)
7) Kershaw Renown 7X30 (Vanguard type internal focusing)

Your picture of the Kershaw Reliant 9X36 is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5246198975/

The focusing knob is on the "wrong end".

Do you have any details on it's internal focusing scheme. I presume a negative lens below the prism assembly but I didn't know people were making "real" internal focus bins in the 1950s.

7x30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39124063@N08/4575616535/

Very interesting.

"Your picture of the Kershaw Reliant 9X36 is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5246198975/

The focusing knob is on the "wrong end".

Do you have any details on it's internal focusing scheme. I presume a negative lens below the prism assembly but I didn't know people were making "real" internal focus bins in the 1950s."

I term it "internal focus" because the eyepieces are not connected to a bridge as on conventional center focus designs. However, internally the arrangement of prisms and eyelenses is entirely conventional.
Here is a picture of the mechanism on a Vanguard which operates almost identically as that on the Reliant.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5076400742/in/photostream/
Also, regarding placing a focus knob on "wrong end", the Kershaw Portland had the focus knob on the objective end too. Rather awkward to use, and whenever I use this binocular I wonder why it was made this way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/4323105834/in/set-72157623234405689/

Last edited:
Thanks for those photos, LPT

So the EPs move in and out but are just not on a conventional bridge. Interesting. No sealing I presume this is just for looks (or to keep amuse a bored optomechnical engineer doing the design ;) )

Thanks for those photos, LPT

So the EPs move in and out but are just not on a conventional bridge. Interesting. No sealing I presume this is just for looks (or to keep amuse a bored optomechnical engineer doing the design ;) )

The disadvantages and advantages of this design are something to ponder.

Disadvantages may be: 1) Cost -It certainly looks mechanically more complicated and difficult to produce and assemble than the conventional bridge which would result in higher production cost. 2) Maintenance - I haven't disassembled any of these (Renown, Reliant, Vanguard) CF's yet because all were well-lubricated and focusing very smoothly when received, and curious as I am to discover exactly how they're built, I've decided to leave well enough alone because the disassembly is a little more daunting than the usual CF mechanism.

Advantages may be: 1) No Wobble - Cheap and/or very worn CF bridge designs may sometimes become loose creating a wobble which makes focusing difficult. No danger of that here. 2) Durability ? - I know three binoculars is too small a sample on which to base any conclusions, but, anyway, although both the Reliant and Renown are well used, were made circa 1950's, and had almost seized diopter adjustments when I got them, their CF mechanisms still functioned perfectly suggesting this may be a very durable low-maintenance feature. Most CF binoculars I have received in similar condition have required CF re-lubrication. 3) Sales - As well as being rather sleek and tidy looking the design is very distinctive, and it may have been hoped that it would make these binoculars stand out from others on the market.

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on December 27, 2010:

1) BBT Krauss France M/50 (Danish Army/Airforce) 7X50
2) Hensoldt Wetzlar Nacht-Dialyt 8X56
3) Kershaw Monarch Ten 10X40
4) Lemaire Paris Azur 8X30
5) REL C.G.B. 37 M.A. 6X30 (pictures of case being used to store Bren light machine gun reflector sight)
6) S.P.J.P. (Société Parisienne Jumelles à Prismes) 7X 7X23 (with picture of disassembled linear movement ocular unit)
7) Taylor-Hobson Bino Prism No. 2 Mk III 6X30
8) Carl Zeiss Jena Delactis 8X40
9) Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) 8X30

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 42 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 9 are BOP filter modified.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157625596577485/detail/

Hi LPT,

I started following your collection on Flikcr before you began posting here. You’ve got some great binoculars, and your skills at restoring them are impressive. Your restoration of the BBT Krauss 8x30 is amazing. I’ve done a little research on the history of the development and promotion of binoculars for birding. Here’s some information on the Goerz Trieder.

This binocular is one of the first to be promoted by a published naturalist for the purpose of birding. The writer was Oliver G. Pike, who promoted photography for documenting birds and openly rejected the collecting of birds and eggs. He was a co-developer of early electric shutters, and he also invented bird-activated, trip-wire shutter releases.

Pike designed a field camera specifically for the purpose of bird photography, which he called the Bird-land Camera and marketed through the London firm, Sanders & Crowhurst. An illustration in his fourth book, Adventures in Bird-land (1907) shows him in a hide using the camera, made for 3.25 x 4.25 plates. His photographic illustrations in that book are remarkably good and required a tremendous commitment to his craft. Pike states that the book was written for boys, whom he encouraged to take up nature photography. He also promoted his camera, as well as Ilford plates and Goerz lenses. And he promoted the Goerz binocular:

“Another important thing that the successful field-naturalist should have is a good field-glass. The one I use, and always recommend, is the Goerz Trieder Binocular, which is recognized now by all naturalists to be the very best for bird-watching. It is small, light, and extremely powerful, and it is impossible to obtain a better glass anywhere. The naturalist equipped with one of these is bound to make discoveries in Bird-land, and Nature will be to him something quite new when looked at with these binoculars, which have been truly christened the ‘naturalist’s field-glass.’”

The one Pike used could have been the 12X, rather than the 9X. One can’t help but wonder if Goerz provided him sponsorship at some level, but he does not acknowledge the company. In his first book, In Bird-land with Field-Glass and Camera (1900), he did not promote Goerz optics. Instead an ad in the book for Sanders & Crowhurst plugs their own Naturalist’s Field Glass, “The most comfortable glass made for Watching Birds, &c.” It is only described as having “12 lenses,” so I wonder if it is a Galilean binocular, which would explain why it is not in your collection or the other fine collections exhibited online.

Instead an ad in the book for Sanders & Crowhurst plugs their own Naturalist’s Field Glass, “The most comfortable glass made for Watching Birds, &c.” It is only described as having “12 lenses,” so I wonder if it is a Galilean binocular, which would explain why it is not in your collection or the other fine collections exhibited online.

Almost certainly "12 lenses" references a high quality Galilean binocular such as this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/4323333776/in/set-72157623234405689/
Your information about the Goerz Trieder is very interesting and my description of that binocular will be revised to include it. Thank you.

Almost certainly "12 lenses" references a high quality Galilean binocular such as this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/4323333776/in/set-72157623234405689/
Your information about the Goerz Trieder is very interesting and my description of that binocular will be revised to include it. Thank you.

Thanks for that link. I had not found that collection, and since some of the earliest binoculars used by birders/ornithologists were Galilean, I'm trying to locate examples of a few particular ones.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back