• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Premium Lens Care Products... (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

I quote from the press release regarding Zeiss Premium Lens Care Products…

These high dealer margin ZEISS Lens cleaning accessories are ideal for reliably cleaning all premium optics, including cameras, binoculars, telescopes and rifle scopes.

It was nice of them to tell us that retailers are going to reap high profits.

With that out of the way.. has anyone tried the anti-fog stuff?

Last edited:
I quote from the press release regarding Zeiss Premium Lens Care Products…

These high dealer margin ZEISS Lens cleaning accessories are ideal for reliably cleaning all premium optics, including cameras, binoculars, telescopes and rifle scopes.

It was nice of them to tell us that retailers are going to reap high profits.

With that out of the way.. has anyone tried the anti-fog stuff?

This is strange.
Customers get them for free from us.
I assume you mean the little blue Zeiss cordura bag containing a brush, wipes, fluid and a dry cloth.
Swaro has the same (in a green bag which is a tiny copy of the binocular bag) and they go with the bin, same like Zeiss.
Are we talking about the same product?

Jan

Hi Mike,

I can only figure out that this "birding wire" is presented to us by Swarovski Optik;), so maybe the claim of high margin must be seen in that light:cat:

I do know that in the near future the current Zeiss cleaning set is replaced by a new set (which will also be free with the bin) and maybe that is where this article is about.

Jan

Hi Mike,

I can only figure out that this "birding wire" is presented to us by Swarovski Optik;), so maybe the claim of high margin must be seen in that light:cat:

I do know that in the near future the current Zeiss cleaning set is replaced by a new set (which will also be free with the bin) and maybe that is where this article is about.

Jan

Jan, my apologies for this information. We normally have 2 press releases in the USA. One tailored for the dealer trade, and one for the consumer trade. It appears the trade release for dealers went public. I will evaluate with my USA team. Regarding the products, this is a full line of cleaning equipment that will be available in the USA. It is a cooperative effort with Carl Zeiss Vision, and will be sold through the USA sport optics retailers. Geographically, such as in Europe, a cleaning accessory platform may vary. Retailers and consumers abroad need to check with their local ZEISS distribution partner or retailer on what cleaning product are available from ZEISS. Hope this answers your question.

It is common in the camera and optics trade that little is made on the camera or optics and that more margin is made on accessories of all kinds.

What upsets me more is a buyer who deliberately uses a retailer to spend a lot of time showing him or her a product and then goes a few hundred yards to a grey importer or then buys the item on the internet.
This is unethical and there are no excuses for this behaviour.

If you buy on the internet without wasting a retailers time that is fine.

No wonder the retailers have gone out of business.

There is something very wrong nowadays, and no wonder large numbers of people are unemployed.

Jan, my apologies for this information. We normally have 2 press releases in the USA. One tailored for the dealer trade, and one for the consumer trade. It appears the trade release for dealers went public. I will evaluate with my USA team. Regarding the products, this is a full line of cleaning equipment that will be available in the USA. It is a cooperative effort with Carl Zeiss Vision, and will be sold through the USA sport optics retailers. Geographically, such as in Europe, a cleaning accessory platform may vary. Retailers and consumers abroad need to check with their local ZEISS distribution partner or retailer on what cleaning product are available from ZEISS. Hope this answers your question.

Hello Mike (bit confusing with all those Mike's in one thread),

You are very honest here!!!

To explain how it goes to all the (non dealers) readers:

Most dealers (at least we do) give a cleaning set for free with the bin.
The brand offers the dealers a marketing rate of 2 or 3% of the total year volume of that brand, to be used for ads, umbrella's, caps, cleaning sets and those kind of brand promotion material (ask for it at your dealer!!!). Does the dealer run out of his marketing rate, he can buy these items with a higher profit margin rate to "reduce" the pain for the costs of the free gift.

Thanks Mike;)

Jan.

It is common in the camera and optics trade that little is made on the camera or optics and that more margin is made on accessories of all kinds.

What upsets me more is a buyer who deliberately uses a retailer to spend a lot of time showing him or her a product and then goes a few hundred yards to a grey importer or then buys the item on the internet.
This is unethical and there are no excuses for this behaviour.

If you buy on the internet without wasting a retailers time that is fine.

No wonder the retailers have gone out of business.

There is something very wrong nowadays, and no wonder large numbers of people are unemployed.

Binastro,

IMO only the retailers without an added value are doomed to go out of business.
Those who invest in all the models, who invest in knowledge, who pamper their customers, those retailers don't have to be afraid for the economic loyal customer as you described (like Dennis:-O:-O who is yapping "I am the customer, so I am the king).

Jan

Jan, long may you be in business.

Retailing is hard work, I started in retailing.
But many moons ago I went into selling to retailers and building up a reputation.
There were no contracts just an Englishman's word is his bond.
Eventually, after thirty years hard work, I had 2,000 customers and as far as I recall on only three occasions I could not keep my word and supply the products because of reasons outside my control.

In addition, two of the firms I represented had exclusive decades long exclusivity from the China export corporation. No contracts. A Chinese man's word was also his bond.

How the world has changed.

I am glad I am no longer involved in the business.

Jan, long may you be in business.

Retailing is hard work, I started in retailing.
But many moons ago I went into selling to retailers and building up a reputation.
There were no contracts just an Englishman's word is his bond.
Eventually, after thirty years hard work, I had 2,000 customers and as far as I recall on only three occasions I could not keep my word and supply the products because of reasons outside my control.

In addition, two of the firms I represented had exclusive decades long exclusivity from the China export corporation. No contracts. A Chinese man's word was also his bond.

How the world has changed.

I am glad I am no longer involved in the business.

Binastro,

Dealing with "old money" suppliers means you're doing business with folks who's words still counts. Often dealing with "new money" (stockholders owned companies) results in "....as long as I see profit, my offer counts..." policy because they only deal in short term profits and not long term relation/profits.

The world hasn't changed that much. People act like people, it's just filtering out with who you WANT to do business with.

The same counts for our customers. Why should they do business with me when I treat them the same as the price discounters shit (read: service and guarantee is bought off by the price).

Trust is earned!!

Jan

Jan,
When dealing with retailers I was dealing with professionals who knew their business.
I had problems with retailer's customers, especially difficult members of the public.

One of my best customers had a most successful shop on the South Coast.
He had a novel way of dealing with difficult customers, unfortunately usually women, who kept changing their minds and being generally impossible.
After about five or the most ten minutes of nonsense he would throw the customer out, with expletives, and tell them never to come back to his shop.

When I visited his lovely home he and his wife offered me tea and we had a great time.
Shortly after driving away I felt very strange and I realised the tea was about 50% Irish whiskey.
I don't drink much and had to pull off the road and sleep for several hours till I could resume my journey.

Fond memories of many various encounters on my travels.

Jan,
When dealing with retailers I was dealing with professionals who knew their business.
I had problems with retailer's customers, especially difficult members of the public.

One of my best customers had a most successful shop on the South Coast.
He had a novel way of dealing with difficult customers, unfortunately usually women, who kept changing their minds and being generally impossible.
After about five or the most ten minutes of nonsense he would throw the customer out, with expletives, and tell them never to come back to his shop.

When I visited his lovely home he and his wife offered me tea and we had a great time.
Shortly after driving away I felt very strange and I realised the tea was about 50% Irish whiskey.
I don't drink much and had to pull off the road and sleep for several hours till I could resume my journey.

Fond memories of many various encounters on my travels.

Like I said: Do business with people you WANT to do busniness with.
It works both ways.

Nice story though:t:

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back