• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

Thanks for that HermitIbis.

I also used a Camera Decision link to get an idea of relative size to my SX60.

I gotta say, as much as the P1000 would be a fairly nice upgrade to my SX60, the sheer size and weight of the beastie might be too big a downside for me. Not that the extra weight and size doesn't make sense for that hunk of glass it has or the sheer size of the zoom barrel, mind you.

Given how tough it can be to get birds in flight with the SX60, I wonder if that just gets even tougher with the P1000's level of zoom?

Maybe once the price comes down in the next couple of years I'll have to look harder at this camera. Or maybe the oft-speculated "Canon SX70" will finally become a reality.

First impressions..............yep, it is big.....and the EVF is bright and sharp...very nice, menus can be displayed in it as well as the main screen. Got to say it again, the EVF is bright and sharp, worlds ahead of the P900.

No charger with it though! battery has to be charged in camera........not happy with that, although you can take pics while it is charging, not a lot of use in the garden :)

Can easily buy spare batteries and charger so that problem is solved.....shouldn't have to though.

Fully overcast sky but comparing the P900 at 2000mm to the P1000 at 2000mm I would say the image is better. This is just a very first look, so will be doing some more tests tomorrow. my standard church spire and power pole at 300yds and 400yds came out well. Macros of bugs on pond were excellent..........but it is a bit of a lump.

Funny isn't it, Nikon supply a lens hood but no battery charger, I know which is more useful

Anyone got any ideas about editing the Raw images please, got Windows 10 and an old version of PS 4.
I downloaded the Nikonraw file software but can't find any way to import the raw files to it (or any other files come to that)

Den

Anyone got any ideas about editing the Raw images please, got Windows 10 and an old version of PS 4.
Have you tried poking around to see if the RAW updates from Adobe work for Photoshop 4? They still seem to work with CS6, but not sure about farther back.

First impressions..............yep, it is big.....and the EVF is bright and sharp...very nice, menus can be displayed in it as well as the main screen. Got to say it again, the EVF is bright and sharp, worlds ahead of the P900.

No charger with it though! battery has to be charged in camera........not happy with that, although you can take pics while it is charging, not a lot of use in the garden :)

Can easily buy spare batteries and charger so that problem is solved.....shouldn't have to though.

Fully overcast sky but comparing the P900 at 2000mm to the P1000 at 2000mm I would say the image is better. This is just a very first look, so will be doing some more tests tomorrow. my standard church spire and power pole at 300yds and 400yds came out well. Macros of bugs on pond were excellent..........but it is a bit of a lump.

Funny isn't it, Nikon supply a lens hood but no battery charger, I know which is more useful

I downloaded the Nikonraw file software but can't find any way to import the raw files to it (or any other files come to that)

Den

I still use Nikon view nx to download Nikon files, if you click the transfer button top left you get this

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for your first impressions - sounds good!
I use the raw editor DxO Optics Pro 11 for those NEF files. Now and then the DxO company offers this older version of their software for free, last time in July. It's available from ebay for little money. Its Prime module takes almost a minute per image, but reduces noise very efficiently. The resulting DNG files can be handled by PS.
The raw files generated by the Canon SX50 were hardly better than a jpeg. If the P1000 creates NEF files, it should be the real stuff (I hope).

Thanks for help Mike, as always, you are the font of knowledge for Nikon. I should have read the manual, first page is headed "read this first" I skipped past that, as you do!

D/Loaded 4 lots of stuff, so at least I can get the pics on to the PC, will learn to fiddle with them over the next week or so (I hope)

Two spare batteries and charger on their way, £17 from amazon, hope they work.

Peeing with rain right now, but may get out in the garden later, had 2 owls in the garden last night so will search for more "pellets"

once again, thanks a lot :)

Den

Den

Just seen this P1000 support

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/13/nikon-capture-nx-d-1-5-0-released-with-color-control-point-feature.aspx/

I have a very strong feeling I won't be messing about with Raw :) Good old PS and jpegs will do all I want for editing dodgy pics.

Had a good session in the garden today, playing around with different settings...quite like target finding AF, picks out objects (birds and flowers) from among a jumble of other foliage. Very useful I hope for BIF.

Getting used to the weight, but hand held at 3000 is difficult, 2000 OK as with the P900. I do like that EVF (did I say that before? )

Had to stop as battery had run out.......

Den

I have a very strong feeling I won't be messing about with Raw :) Good old PS and jpegs will do all I want for editing dodgy pics.

Had a good session in the garden today, playing around with different settings...quite like target finding AF, picks out objects (birds and flowers) from among a jumble of other foliage. Very useful I hope for BIF.

Getting used to the weight, but hand held at 3000 is difficult, 2000 OK as with the P900. I do like that EVF (did I say that before? )

Had to stop as battery had run out.......

Den

I found the jpeg on the P900 was good and did think it would be on the P1000, dont blame you.

The large ring at front of lens is a great improvement...switch to MF and focus with that ring. Never really got to grips with the manual focus on the P900 but this is a doddle :)

Den

Have you tried it on planets? Apparently you can get some decent shots of Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn with the P900...I have to assume the P1000 would be even better.

You can get a star tracker app on your phone to track where the planets are and there are tutorials on youtube on how to get the best shots (videos and pictures) of the planets. You'll need a tripod though and preferably a remote to zoom and snap the pics to avoid shake/movement.

I used to get excellent results with an 80mm scope/20x eyepiece and 10x video camera. Jupiter's moons came out well.
Might give the 1000 a go soon, Kenco UV filter and two spare batteries and charging lead came today so will be off to Sandwich tomorrow if weather is dry.

Spent a couple of hours making a base plate/tripod mount, not to sure the small standard quick release plate is OK with the extra weight and overhang, new base supports the whole of the camera base except the battery case, so feel a lot happier.

Left arm aches a bit, will be like Popeye soon :t:

Den

Last edited:
The large ring at front of lens is a great improvement...switch to MF and focus with that ring. Never really got to grips with the manual focus on the P900 but this is a doddle :)

Den

Do you need to do a physical switch of a setting each time? On my Pana, it is a one time switch to AF+MF, letting me use AF but overriding it whenever I start turning the focus ring.

Niels

I used to get excellent results with an 80mm scope/20x eyepiece and 10x video camera. Jupiter's moons came out well.
Might give the 1000 a go soon, Kenco UV filter and two spare batteries and charging lead came today so will be off to Sandwich tomorrow if weather is dry.

Spent a couple of hours making a base plate/tripod mount, not to sure the small standard quick release plate is OK with the extra weight and overhang, new base supports the whole of the camera base except the battery case, so feel a lot happier.

Left arm aches a bit, will be like Popeye soon :t:

Den
Walking the circuit around Stodmarsh rather than popping down to Sandwich might be a more interesting test first of the bulk/weight of the camera and second of whether you can get good shots of birds like Marsh Harrier in flight.

Hi John, the old legs are not up to much walking, but I can still get around. I am familiar with Sandwich so decided to go there and check out the hide and then the woods and beach (from the car)

Have to say I was very disappointed, couldn't seem to get a single decent shot. Bearing in mind I was familiar with the results with the 900 so expected at least the same.

When I got the 1000 I did some quick hand held shots, auto, at zooms of 2000 to compare with the P900 and was very pleased. a day or two later (Sat) I couldn't get a decent pic of anything and began to think I had a dud.
So I googled for help and decided to start again, good light this morning, clear air, no perceptible heat haze. Tripod, remote, manual focus, power pole 175 yards away. super pics, bearing in mind the distance, I could see the grain on the pole sharply at 1200mm and 2000mm, and a bit fuzzy at 3000mm. I don't expect to much from 3000mm, but am now a lot happier with the rest of the performance.

Niels, there is a dedicated switch for manual and the peaking works really well within the range of 5mtrs or so up to 120mtrs as tested this morning. Tried it on some rooks on the ground at 150yds and on checking I had focussed just in front of the bird, so some practise needed.

A lot happier now :)

Den

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your legs aren't up to staggering around Stodmarsh. A visit to wader hotspot Oare, nr Faversham (which has good viewing from the road) would be an interesting test of the camera.

I’ve seen some gr at videos of the zoom capability of this camera. Does anyone know how the magnification would compare to a 20-60x on a 82mm scope? I am usually viewing through my iPhone which is adapted to my scope and it can get a bit cumbersome and fiddly with the iPhone. I was wondering how the p1000 would compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back