• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P1000 low light performance (1 Viewer)

poledark

Went to the woods late this afternoon, keeping out of the way of "the women"

Pretty dim but always a chance of something, watched a squirrel disappear but then nothing. Light still fading fast and then spotted a movement about 45yards away, leaves being disturbed..could be a magpie or maybe even a Jay. Zoomed in to about 800 and took a short burst, aha! a squirrel.
Zoomed out to 3000 and spot focus and at the third or fourth attempt camera locked on to squirrel. This was through a veritable jungle of saplings and other growth, light so bad I could barely make out what it was.

I for one am impressed with the low light performance :) and the cameras ability to lock on to a subject buried in undergrowth.

I have brightened the second pic a bit, f7.1 1/30 hand held, the first and third ones are as shot.

Den

Attachments

• bird1DSCN6760.JPG
    bird1DSCN6760.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 348
  • bird1DSCN6762.JPG
    bird1DSCN6762.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
  • bird1DSCN6762 (1).JPG
    bird1DSCN6762 (1).JPG
    896.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I'm also impressed with this camera in low light, although so far my best shots have been in good light.

I've had the camera for about a month and took these Peregrine photos at Salisbury Cathedral in very poor light, with a little rain falling too.

I stood in the covered area around the courtyard. Not sure of the distance but they were up in the highest point of the main spire. I have a DSLR with a 500mm zoom and got nowhere close in comparision to the p1000.

The Lesser Yellow Legs were taken in much better light and only about 20yds away, all the shots are hand held.

I think this camera is a great addition to anyone interested in wildlife photography, the reach is just amazing.

Attachments

• DSCN1567_01a.jpg
    DSCN1567_01a.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN1615a.jpg
    DSCN1615a.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 328
  • birdforum.jpg
    birdforum.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 272
  • bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 155
A couple more photos in pretty awful weather this morning, very poor light and raining, very pleased with the results of the camera

Both were taken at ISO 800 so are a little noisy ,f/5.6 and 1/100 shutter speed. The VR worked great as I was hand holding and trying to keep the camera dry.

Attachments

• fieldfare.jpg
    fieldfare.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 144
  • redwing.jpg
    redwing.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 149
A couple more Winter thrushes taken in slightly better light today, all taken hand held

Attachments

• forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 102
  • forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 115
  • for2.jpg
    for2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back