• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Duck at Strontian, Argyll (1 Viewer)

madeinkent

This year has seen a lot of birders up searching for the famous black duck at Strontian on Loch Sunart. The best place to see this duck is on the bridge directly opposite Tigh an T'Sonais Bed and Breakfast, sightings are usually made between Tigh an T'Sonais and the church bridge about half a mile upstream. Many sightings were made last week. Last year the duck was frequently seen in the early hours with her clutch of ducklings both upstream and downstream of the bridge. Other birds of interest in the area which are seen frequently but are rare elsewhere are both sea eagles and golden eagles, goshawks further up the glen nearer Scotstown, and with lots of dippers, wagtails and occasional kingfishers there is always something to be seen. It should be interesting to see if the duck has bred again this year and if it's hybrid ducklings, which look identical to a black duck, are fertile and if they will produce. I will be keeping my eyes open for ducklings.

Interesting use of "her" as the bird people will be looking for is a male.

And welcome to Birdforum - not everyone is as picky as me.

Steve

Last edited:
Is this bird still present? I'm thinking of heading up there on Friday so recent information would be appreciated.
It was last reported on 5th January though we've been in lockdown since then so doubt it's been looked for by many.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back