• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What stay-on-case for Diascope 85? (1 Viewer)

ColonelBlimp

What time is bird?
I know this has been asked before, but I have narrowed it down to a few and I would like your opinions on which I should get.

Creedmoor case: cheap, good reviews, but I am unsure about how padded it is and whether a carrying strap attached to it would be durable enough to have the scope around my shoulder.

Zeiss own-brand cases: the cordura one looks OK and comes with a strap at least, but is expensive, and the neoprene one-£85 for a big black condom? No thanks!

Skua case: Expensive, but sounds wonderful-the only trouble is where would I get it?

Thanks for your help.

The Creedmoor case has more padding than the cordura Zeiss. On the Zeiss, the zipper around the eyepiece cover is awkward. It also screams expensive scope ("Carl Zeiss" on both sides, 3 cm high). The carrying handles added by Creedmoor staff, at no charge, are well-made in the two samples we have; the handles give a secure grip on the scope as it's attached/removed.

Mike

Last edited:
Would I be able to attach a strap to it, do you think?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Skua but I cannot find it at Focalpoint, where it was said a new batch were done.

Creedmore Case

I just purchased the Creedmore Case about two weeks ago. In general I like it and think it is very well made for the money. I do like the carrying straps and the padding is very adequate.

One thing that I wish Creedmore would do is make the zipper with the cover over it to minimize the chance of rain leaking inside. I purchased a tube of seam sealer available at outdoor shops used to seal tent seams with to seal the stitching on the cover. I also purchased a can of scotch gard to spray the fabric to make it somewhat water repellent.

I have no experience with the other cases you mentioned.

Silvermesa

C-B,

I have used the original Zeiss stay-on case when I tested the scope some years back. I was not very happy with the metal zippers that would tend to stick and made me worry about scratching the scope body. When I have seen Zeiss users with these cases in the field, the cases tend to look a bit scrappy, meaning both that people who get them use them and that the case perhaps does not wear real well. Finnish birders tend to be very utilitarian with their gear, though, so almost nothing wears well here.

The neoprene case I would not dismiss quite so easily. It may look silly to you, and when it is not on a scope I would tend to agree. Once on the scope, though, I think it looks better than the original case. Also, the decision of the designers to have the eyepiece and objective covers sort of stretch over the rest of the case to close instead of resorting to zippers is ingenious simplicity and worked very well when I tried the case on a scope in a store. Yes, I have not used the combination in the field, but trying it out it seemed very practical and, above all, quick and fuss-free to use. Neoprene is also good for shock-protection (better than cordura unless the cordura is heavily padded), nice to handle, and very quiet.

Of the Creedmore case, I have no opinion as I have never seen or handled one.

Kimmo

I agree with Kabsetz as I use the neoprene case and and very pleased with it. As stated it is fuss free and fits like a glove.

Referring to the neoprene case I have heard that in the field it is fairly unresistant to scratching etc. as one would get from brambles, and I intend to use the case fairly regularly in less than perfect conditions.

I think someone said a while back that they use an Opticron ES80ED case that fits alright. Has anyone else tried this, as the Opticron case looks alright in terms of quality?

Last edited:
Another vote for the Neoprene case. I've had mine for over 12 months now and it offers a good springy layer of protection. The attached end caps are very quick on and off, useful when in a hurry to scope a distant bird.

Reading an earlier thread it looks like the Kite Optics case might be a good buy-trouble is, the only stockists seem to be on the continent and I am not sure how to actually get one.

Hi guys,

I dont understand your fears referring to the Zeiss own product stay-on-case. Yes, it seems to be a little bit scrappy, but only if you did not apply some plus stuffing material between the scope and the case's internal surface. I have stuffed with a lot of textile and plastic foam, now I have a very well stuffed, streamlined case, that proofed me several times its durability and strength. Be a little more creative and enjoy a waterproof, brand-loyal accesory.

Regards,

Vámi

I assume you are talking about the cordura case-I am only disparaging towards it because I don't want to spend £85 on a case that isn't even padded, has had poor reviews, and that there seem to be better and cheaper ones elsewhere.

PS I am getting more and more accustomed to buying a Kite Optics case but I still have no clue as to how to go about this.

You're asking about a shoulder strap, which suggests you plan to carry the scope detached from a tripod/head. This would work if you have another person to carry the tripod; the birders I've seen carrying the scope detached for longer distances are using a daypack for both.

I've only seen one birder using a shoulder strap with a medium scope (a Bushnell Spacemaster) attached to a collapsed tripod, walking back through a swamp in Hamilton. Ontario. I tried this using a Manfrotto shoulder strap, with a shoulder pad and fastlock buckles that provide for attachment to the tripod, but it was very uncomfortable (The scope/head /tripod weighed 11 lbs. and change, and the shoulder pad couldn't be moved to the best place on the strap.).

I've seen a handful of birders using a Tri-Pack Backpack (The ABA sells these.), which allows you to carry a scope with tripod attached, but IMO it's not really quick to get the scope on/off your shoulders.

Most birders who want a scope available for use as they walk carry the tripod with the legs extended (scope attached) over their shoulder. Some birders attach pipe insulation over the upper section of the tripod as cushioning, using plastic lock ties. OPTECH makes Tripod Leg Wraps that are well designed. While this method of carry is a little awkward/slow if you're using binoculars at the same time, I saw a guide in Panama who had adjusted the bolts at the top of a Manfrotto 190XB so that they were relatively loose, enabling him to quickly flip one tripod leg out as he placed the other two tripod legs.

Mike

Last edited:
I had the same problem getting a case for the 85 Diascope, I got a great deal from Focalpoint in Warrington, (01925 730399, www.fpoint.co.uk) it seems the Opticron 80mm case fits a treat and comes with a shoulder strap, far cheaper than the Zeiss own case.
BTW Skua don't make a case for the Zeiss 85 stocks ran out and the company that made them for Skua no longer exist.
The only minor problem with the Opticron case is it has an opticron badge on it, which being sewn on could be picked off, however I left mine on as it is a deterent to would be thieves who know their equipment!!!!

Last edited:
Referring to the neoprene case I have heard that in the field it is fairly unresistant to scratching etc. as one would get from brambles, and I intend to use the case fairly regularly in less than perfect conditions.

I think someone said a while back that they use an Opticron ES80ED case that fits alright. Has anyone else tried this, as the Opticron case looks alright in terms of quality?

I have this case on my 85. I purchased the scope from In Focus at Denby Dale and they chucked the case in for free. It fits a treat and allows me to carry scope attached to hide clamp with the attached strap.
I think the scope and Slik 700 tripod is a bit too heavy for the straps though and tend to carry tripod and scope on my shoulder when together.

I have had the neoprene case for two years with a straight 85. It has worn well, and does protect the scope from minor knocks and does not seem to suffer brambles too badly. However, the problems I have encountered are:

1. the elastic holding the covers on the either end are way too long and flimsy and frequently become detached and fall on the floor. I have almost lost the eye piece cover a couple of times because of this problem. I have resolved the objective lens cover issue by putting a strong elastic band around the elastic near the end of the scope, so it doesn't flap around too much and if the attachment comes unclipped, the lens cover doesn't fall on the floor. This isn't so easy with the eyepiece cover however.

2. As there is no cover over the slightly raised focussing area, this frequently catches on my house wall, the floor, stone walls etc (it gets a lot of use!) and the area has become very abraded and damaged. This hasn't affected the focussing mechanism, but it has knocked the blue zeiss logos off and damaged the silver metal stuff.

I would probably not buy this case had I have known all this and I am now in the market for a more durable case...

The scope however, is fab!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back