• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeets on feeders (1 Viewer)

London1

Hi, i live in London and enjoy feeding the garden birds - we are lucky in that greater spotted woodpecker, nuthatch, coal tit and many other birds are regular visits. However, parakeets are becoming a major issue, eating the majority of the food and scaring some of the smaller birds away.

I have two squirrel buster feeders which are brilliant at preventing squirrels from feeding but which only occasionally prevent parakeets from feeding (the parakeets are able to get their feet into the feeding ports which prevents the feeder from working properly and closing the ports).

Does anyone have any effective methods of feeding birds that prevent both squirrels and parakeets from feeding. I have tried a caged feeder but the parakeets could still reach into the cage and feed. Considering buying one of these if anyone has any experience of them? http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mobile/rspb-ultimate-cheater-feeder.html

Would be good to get feedback from others who have maybe been more
Successful than I have. Thanks.

Lol,that wont stop a parrot.The shape of a parrots beak will make it more difficult for them but they will winkle out food from those holes.Parrots are super intelligent and will see this as a challenge.....if other birds can get seed out of the feeder,i guarantee a parrot wont give up that easily.
I made my own feeder to stop certain birds.....it works on a "weighted" perch system which lets small birds land on the perch only.If a slightly heavier bird lands on the perch,they collapse so the bird has nothing to stand on.The weights are adjustable allowing me to choose a maximum size bird,i made it to stop jackdaws pinching all the food and it works.Maybe you could try something like that,although i would'nt bet against them beating that either.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!

We put hanging baskets around our feeders - two per feeder. It stops the squirrels, jackdaws, rooks. I don't know if that would stop the parakeets, but it might be worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back