• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Traveller 8x32 (1 Viewer)

In thread 2 of "eye relief - Rule of thumb method?"
Pete Gamby said

"We measure from the outmost/top edge of the eyepiece in its lowest position (twisted down or folded down) to the point at which the exit pupil diameter is measured to be at it's maximum/optimum e.g. 5.25mm for an 8x42 binocular. This is done using a device with an extendable tube which projects the exit pupil onto a semi-translucent sheet with a scale.

HTH

Cheers, Pete"

I find this method more useful, as an eyeglass wearer, than the technically correct measure but it would also be useful to know the axial distance from the rim to the apex of the ocular.

I only have my BGA Classic to hand. The eye relief listed on their website is 19mm. That corresponds exactly with the lens to ER measurement. The distance from the rim of the eyecup to the ER is 16mm. I actually use an O-ring to reduce it about 13.5mm which is comfortable with my glasses. I'm pretty sure they list true ER rather than available ER for most of their models.

Of all the binoculars I've reviewed I've only found one occasion where the manufacturer used the available ER. In fact the 14.5mm listed was actually quite generous with glasses, but I'm sure it would have discouraged a number of potential buyers.

David

It is very likely well worth your while to take a trip to Out of this World in Mendocino. If nothing else they look like they have one of the best natural settings too look through a bunch of binoculars in a superb natural setting. I have never been there, but have talked to them on the phone several times. Nice, knowledgeable folks.

Thanks for the info. Opticrons aren't seen often around here but I will have to find a way to try a pair.

Try East Bay Nature at ........

1270 Newell Ave Ste A, Walnut Creek, CA 94596

It would be a good idea to call first to check on what they have since not all dealers carry the full line.

https://www.eastbaynature.com/ebn/E...avpos=-1&secnavpos=2&navbar=public&language=0

Also keep an eye on birding festivals near you. Opticron is excellent at attending festivals around the country and they have a good part of the models on display. They will be in Chico, CA for the Snow Goose Festival at the end of January which looks to be a little north of you.

http://www.snowgoosefestival.org/

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/festivals.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back