• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Cleaning Nikon Prostaff 7s 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Passerine Dream

Passerine Dream
Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum and very new to Birding. I just picked up a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7s bino's to use. Ive see these Carson C6 lens cleaner tip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Carson-CS-20-...8555&sr=8-5&keywords=carson+binocular+cleaner

Wondering if this is any good? I also have solution, isopropanol + soft cloth combo. But I wanted some information if this is ok to use either. I cant seem to find a Nikon cleaning kit here in Canada.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
The isopropanol and soft cloth should be adequate with careful not abrasive cleaning.
Make sure there is no grit.

I use Kleenex for Men white tissues making sure they are without residue.
I just throw them away after gentle cleaning.

Clean as seldom as possible.

Binastro is right on the money.
Clean as little as possible, more optics are damaged by zealous cleaning than by falls or dirt.
If you must clean, make sure first there is no loose grit particles near the lenses.
Turn the binocs upside down and use a photographer's blower to puff away any bits of grit.
Your Pro Staffs are waterproof, so it is safe to rinse the lenses with at most lukewarm water, then do the isopropanol, then another rinse and blot them dry with a plain Kleenex or a clean cotton cloth.

Thanks for the replies guys! Has anyone heard of the Carson c6 pens in the amazon link I provided? Apparently from what Ive gathered there is no solution just some other kind of compound. Funny enough I havent seen too much online about these....

The brush should be OK to use for brushing off the lens. I would be very careful about using the other end with the spongy part on the lenses.

Bob

The brush should be OK to use for brushing off the lens. I would be very careful about using the other end with the spongy part on the lenses.

Bob

I have several of these 'Lens Pens', as Ceasar notes, the brush is handy to help flick off grit, but the other end leaves me cold.
I don't think it is smart to pull an eraser across a lens.

A cautionary note. I was once told by an optician not to use Kleenex type tissues to clean spectacles because they're abrasive and damage coated lenses. I always use a newly laundered hanky or teacloth.

Best by far according to industry contacts and my opticians are micro-fibre cloths (washed regularly) because they are kinder to coatings than kleenex or cotton hankies and quite probably kinder than teacloths.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back