• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often are you filling up? (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
I realise this could be a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but I was wondering how often are people refilling their feeders in this very cold weather?

We filled our very long and not so long feed seeders on Wednesday, also filled up the three peanut feeders, redid the fat ball feeders (one holds 5 balls, one holds 10), topped up the niger feeder and the window feeder. Although the food is going down, we haven't needed to refill them yet.

The only places we are replenishing daily is the bird table where we put seed and nuts, and my cobbled together above ground feeder made of an old tray filled with soaked sultanas, plus nuts and seed as any food on the ground is buried by the snow. It seems quite popular.

So how often are you filling up?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 15.10.37.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 15.10.37.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 25
Hi Kits. It's our sunflower seed feeders that need filling with us. Usually every 36 hours or so. I top the seed up as required and the fat balls a little less frequently.

Rich

Hi Kits,
We have feeders in 3 parts of our, admittedly large, rural garden and I only feed from about Christmas to probably end of March or early April, as we are surrounded by copses, fields hedges etc. So the routine is:

Mixed seed feeder - twice weekly
Suet anything - once weekly
Niger seed - when they are empty it seems to vary
Flat feeders / fresh fruit -usually daily
Apples (grrr) nothing ever eats them, but I still persist, maybe the fieldfares will get the message

Best
Harry

Going out every 1-1½ hours, clearing snow off paths to scatter suet pellets, and refilling the ground cages with various suet products and dried mealworms!! Fresh apple 3 times a day for Fieldfares- they're eating mine as a tooth problem means I'm on soft food!! Who said retirement was relaxing?

Quit regularly they go through one single feeder which seems to be their favourite but other feeders are ok at the moment.

me too

hi kits, yes me too im constantly filling up niger,peanuts and black sunflower seeds every 2 to 3 days also deicing and filling up bird bath daily. i

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back