• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough-legged Hawk? NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Saw this guy quite some time ago but I didn't really take a close look at the pic until now. Is it a Rough-legged hawk?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 140
Yes, I would think so, with those heavily feathered legs.

Edit--
Oops, have to agree with Kratter. It's the thighs not the tarsi that show in the photo as feathered. Everything else screams accipiter.

Last edited:
Interesting bird, accipiter-like jizz but buteo-like plumage! I'm guessing juv/immature Cooper's (without knowing much about what that looks like plumage-wise, but have seen juv Goshawks (which this is too slenderly built for IMO) with similarish superficially buzzard-like patterns)?

Interesting indeed. To me the heavy streaking underneath is way too dark for a juvenile Cooper's. Must admit my first thought after seeing the pic was Red-shouldered hawk.

Interesting indeed. To me the heavy streaking underneath is way too dark for a juvenile Cooper's. Must admit my first thought after seeing the pic was Red-shouldered hawk.
Mine too. Still not entirely convinced of an Accipiter ID here. Though I think we can agree is's not a Rough-legged Hawk.

Yes, I would think so, with those heavily feathered legs.

Edit--
Oops, have to agree with Kratter. It's the thighs not the tarsi that show in the photo as feathered. Everything else screams accipiter.

Actually the thighs of birds are not visible and are concealed within the body skin. The visible joints are the tibiatarsus (knee to ankle) and tarsometarsus (fused foot bones).

Andy

Actually the thighs of birds are not visible and are concealed within the body skin. The visible joints are the tibiatarsus (knee to ankle) and tarsometarsus (fused foot bones)

Indeed, I was using 'thigh' informally to describe a 'thigh-like' (in mammalian terms} avian appendage. I should have made this clear by putting it in quotes.

We have seen Red-Shouldered Hawk and Cooper's this year in the yard, but this pic was almost 3 years ago - at the time the only Hawk we'd see consistently was Red-Tailed which I can readily identify. It seems most think it's a Cooper's??

Thanks for all the posts! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back