• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhynochetos orarius (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Jörn Theuerkauf & Roman Gula, 2018

Indirect evidence for body size reduction in a flightless island bird after human colonisation

Journal of Ornithology. in press. doi:10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0

Abstract: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0

Rhynochetos orarius has been described from Holocene fossils as the sister species of the smaller extant Kagu Rhynochetos jubatus, a bird endemic to New Caledonia. However, we argue that there has never been evidence justifying the description of R. orarius. Additionally, for biogeographical reasons it seems unlikely that two Kagu species would have evolved in New Caledonia. We therefore synonymise R. orarius and R. jubatus and postulate that Holocene Kagu were larger than today probably because historic hunting by humans targeted larger birds in richer habitat.

Free pdf: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0.pdf

Enjoy,

Fred

Jörn Theuerkauf & Roman Gula, 2018

Indirect evidence for body size reduction in a flightless island bird after human colonisation

Journal of Ornithology. in press. doi:10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0

Abstract: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0

Rhynochetos orarius has been described from Holocene fossils as the sister species of the smaller extant Kagu Rhynochetos jubatus, a bird endemic to New Caledonia. However, we argue that there has never been evidence justifying the description of R. orarius. Additionally, for biogeographical reasons it seems unlikely that two Kagu species would have evolved in New Caledonia. We therefore synonymise R. orarius and R. jubatus and postulate that Holocene Kagu were larger than today probably because historic hunting by humans targeted larger birds in richer habitat.

Free pdf: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10336-018-1545-0.pdf

Enjoy,

Fred

Thanks Fred. Very interesting article.

Thanks for your nice words Peter, but here you find the description of Rhynochetos orarius Balouet & Olson, 1989. You will see there is a size difference of 15%. I think that is a lot. Balouet and Olson did not find any sign of hunting and the periode in which the size reduction must have taken place seems very short to me, but perhaps it is possible. I don't know. In the mean time I will keep Rhynochetos orarius Balouet & Olson, 1989 as a valid species in my notes.

Ref.:
Jean Christophe Balouet & Storrs Lovejoy Olson, 1989
Fossil Birds from Late Quaternary Deposits in New Caledonia
Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology • Number 469: 1-38 (28-32)
Smithsonian Institution Press, City of Washington

Have fun,

Fred

Attachments

• orarius.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
Thanks for your nice words Peter, but here you find the description of Rhynochetos orarius Balouet & Olson, 1989. You will see there is a size difference of 15%. I think that is a lot. Balouet and Olson did not find any sign of hunting and the periode in which the size reduction must have taken place seems very short to me, but perhaps it is possible. I don't know. In the mean time I will keep Rhynochetos orarius Balouet & Olson, 1989 as a valid species in my notes.

Ref.:
Jean Christophe Balouet & Storrs Lovejoy Olson, 1989
Fossil Birds from Late Quaternary Deposits in New Caledonia
Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology • Number 469: 1-38 (28-32)
Smithsonian Institution Press, City of Washington

Have fun,

Fred

Fred, thank you again. B :)

New Caledonia is an interesting place where you can find species that had undergone a change in body size. When the first terror skinks were captured in the 19th century they had a body length of 50 cm. When the species was rediscovered in 1993 they were much smaller.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back