Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bushnell Elite 80 ED Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 23:30   #1
PCC

Bushnell Elite 80 ED Review

I purchased the Elite a month ago with a 3001BD tripod and 701RC2 head. The scope is good quality, lightweight, small, no defects, star test results were good, view is bright and clear, focus is smooth, zoom eyepiece is smooth, comes with a nice case with strap, screw on front lens cap, eyepiece cap and the eye relief is very good for use with eyeglasses. I do not like the fold down rubber eye cup but nothing is perfect and it might be better at blocking stray light when used without glasses. This is a good scope, has a cheap slr adapter (800mm), which is not my bag (I have the FZ50 with 1.7X telephoto), optional eyepieces and the cost is around $700. Tripod is short, a little heavy but very stable, head is very smooth. The hole package works very well together. I tried several Pentax 80 scopes and could not get a good one and they are very long and very heavy, not too impressed. Have looked through all the other scopes and could not justify the added cost.

Last edited by PCC : Wednesday 28th February 2007 at 15:49.
Old Wednesday 28th February 2007, 09:20   #2
dipped

Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.

While you're here I wonder if you have the zoom with this scope or if you've thought about trying the wide field Baader Hyperion zoom on this scope. What eyepiece mount does the scope use?
Present knowledge with the Baader is despite being the "best" zoom available it will only fit the high end scopes (Zeiss,Swaro with adapter) and the low end (celestron,Acuter). The Bushnell may be a possible quality middle ground alternative.

Did you have to star test many Bushnell's or hit on a good one?
Old Wednesday 28th February 2007, 15:43   #3
PCC

This scope only uses Bushnell bayonet eyepieces, I assume the Baader is a 1.25". I just tested this one, I got the feeling that Bushnell has a good quality control program. The box was taped and sealed at the factory and double boxed. The star test is not easy and I am no expert but I had some samples of what it should look like and it seemed good. I also used a optical chart set at 50 feet and it was very sharp at all powers and mostly edge to edge.

Last edited by PCC : Wednesday 28th February 2007 at 15:54.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: