• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

Just a note about yesterday. The mosquitoes at the salt pans yesterday were voracious and every exposed bit of me is covered in very itchy bites. I think David got ravaged too.
Mike

An interesting comment, Mike. I had no idea that they would be active at this time of year. I think the last few years has seen a big increase in the numbers and effects of the mozzies. During my last two visits (now 3 years ago!) someone was doing some research on them but I'm not aware of any results.

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin. I did think about you as I smacked yet another blood-filled little monster off my exposed hands and face.
Some German visitors were complaining about them too and poor David looked worse than me.
They were most definitely mosquitoes, we could see them on our skin and heard them all around.
I remember you saying that they probably were not active at this time of the year so I don’t know what’s going on, just to say that they were extremely active. I wish they weren’t though..
Mike

Hi Martin. I did think about you as I smacked yet another blood-filled little monster off my exposed hands and face.
Some German visitors were complaining about them too and poor David looked worse than me.
They were most definitely mosquitoes, we could see them on our skin and heard them all around.
I remember you saying that they probably were not active at this time of the year so I don’t know what’s going on, just to say that they were extremely active. I wish they weren’t though..
Mike

I've been reading quite a lot of complaints, especially from tourists, about them over the past year or two. I think the irrigation of land around tourist villas/apartments, etc., is probably playing a part - providing lots of standing water where they can breed. Apart from the research I mentioned there's also a thought that some of their 'natural' predators are in decline (e.g. certain species of fish) - resulting in larger numbers than usual reaching maturity. They've even become more of an issue for the staff in places like s'Albufera.
The other probelm is that I've not been there to feed them o they've had to rely on others for a source of blood (I'm a mosquito magnet!!).
However, I wouldn't want to see the wholesale spraying of water bodies, etc., with pesticides as this is not the answer.

Hi a belated post from our mid October visit to the Island.
Fantastic endless sunshine for the whole stay was not expected so late into the year and the island still very busy tourist wise was also a surprise.
Not a full on birding holiday and more of a laid back poolside job with all my birding done early morning and the odd mooch locally of an evening.
Stayed in a Villa along by the Saint Jordi stream which did mean plenty of biting insects for our stay but well worth it i thought.
Birding from the gardens alone was fantastic with an amazing raptor count of eight which were Black Vulture,Eleonora's Falcon,Red Kite,Osprey,Kestrel,Booted Eagle,Peregrine Falcon and Marsh Harrier.
My morning alarm clock was the call of Stone Curlews which were very vocal for the whole stay at dusk and dawn.
Birds also seen from garden and in garden were Stonechat,Sardinian Warbler,Willow Warbler,Cettis Warbler,Hoopoe,Serin,Redstart with flyover Flamingo,Stone Curlew,Night Heron,Little and Great Egret ,Grey Heron and various wildfowl.
The field next door held about 8-10 feeding Cattle Egret most evenings too.
A Wryneck was calling close by most days but frustratingly i never did manage to steal a look at it.
It was great to eventually meet up with Pere & Emma (mallorcanaturaltours) and spend the best part of the day in the spectacular Ternelles Valley,a great days birding was had with great company and plenty of good craic along the way,top views of Vultures with supporting cast of Redstarts,Wheatears,Cirl Buntings,Booted Eagles and Cross-bill to name a few.
We had plenty of evening visits from Preying Mantis which were attracted by the outside lighting but sadly the local cat population picked them off one by one with some pretty impressive standing leaps to catch them mid air.
Had about four early morning visits to S'Albufera ,big numbers of wildfowl present but water levels a tad high for the waders,Osprey present on all of my visits plus Glossy Ibis and my best views to date of Moustached Warbler with a family group seen on two of my visits there.
An early morning look along the Sillot track to check out the pools there gave great views of a massive Starling murmeration but as i watched it overhead birds started dropping at my feet due to them flying into the power lines which run the length of the track there,i counted 10 dead birds on my walk back in better light.
We eventually made our first visit to Dragonara Island mainly to get some views of the Eleonoras Falcon and they did not disappoint,some very nice views of both adult and young birds plus the odd migrant thrown in.The only downside being the Monday Morning rush hour traffic around Palma to get to Sant Elm for the first boat out there ,plus the long hot drive back but needless to say i shall hopefully be back for more in the years to come.
Next visit out to Mallorca will be in April for my 60th birthday bash so looking forward to that.
In the meantime Seasons Greetings To All and i hope the Biting Mozzies calm down soon.

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

• young-elin-fly-bf.jpg
    young-elin-fly-bf.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 44
  • young-erin-bf.jpg
    young-erin-bf.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 48
  • bf-stoni.jpg
    bf-stoni.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 43
  • elen-bf-file.jpg
    elen-bf-file.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 45
Moustached Warbler shots S'Albufera Oct 2019

Attachments

• bf-mush.jpg
    bf-mush.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 38
  • close-perch-bf.jpg
    close-perch-bf.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 39
  • mushi-warb-bf.jpg
    mushi-warb-bf.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 35
  • perch-mush-bf.jpg
    perch-mush-bf.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 27
  • mushi-warbler-bf.jpg
    mushi-warbler-bf.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Bob for posting, great photos as always.
Some nice evocative birding moments for you, Mallorca can be spectacular as you already know.
Seasons greetings to you too Bob, hopefully we will meet up one day!
All the best, Mike

Some pics from last week. Hen harrier from Albufera, Alpine accentor from Albercutx, Great egret at Albufereta. 10 Glossy ibis at Depuradura and Ring ouzel from Cura.

Attachments

• maj dec 2019 025 (640x479).jpg
    maj dec 2019 025 (640x479).jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 51
  • maj dec 2019 037 (640x480).jpg
    maj dec 2019 037 (640x480).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 36
  • maj dec 2019 051 (640x480).jpg
    maj dec 2019 051 (640x480).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 25
  • maj dec 2019 044 (640x393).jpg
    maj dec 2019 044 (640x393).jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 39
  • maj dec 2019 062 (640x461).jpg
    maj dec 2019 062 (640x461).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 49
Just returned back to Newcastle with Lisa from my latest trip to Mallorca, my 8th of the year. It has been a memorable year for us as we have recently bought a property in Port de Pollenca and we have lots to look forward to in 2020. We have met some lovely people on our visits and made what I hope are new friends for many years to come. Visits have been spread throughout the year from early January onwards and the only time we have not been out has been July and August. We are gradually getting to know the island better and we are especially grateful to those that share knowledge and advice on sites to visit. I have a fairly respectable (?) 180 birds for the year; not enough to trouble the scorers in the Big Year but something I have really enjoyed compiling and an interesting challenge for next year. Lots of highlights, including Nightjar at S'Illot with Steve G and Kevin, the male hen harrier at Albufera and the million+ starlings at Depuradora. But above all it has been the companionship and the laughs that I will remember; whether that means 4 hours in a hide to see a blackbird at Son Real, 6 hours at the tower at Albercutx to see only 4 raptors or getting bitten all over at the Salt Pans its being out with like minded people that really matters!! Many thanks to the birders I have met from all over Europe that have stopped for a chat and to share news of latest sightings, to the Mallorcan birders for their friendship at Albercutx and for their continuing conservation efforts, to Steve G, to Kevin H, to Mike Swiss and of course to Mike Montier for the pies and for keeping the forum alive. Best wishes to everyone for Christmas and 2020. I look forward to returning in January
Dave

It was great sharing some of those times with you David.
The Starling roost at Albufera tonight was staggering.
Son Real was good too with Hawfinch, many Crossbills and a possible Siskin, I only have a few poor photos.
Mike

Mike hopefully meet up next April as I think we will be visiting Albercutx Tower on a few occasions.
Must try and meet up with Clive again too.

Thanks Ian hope you have a goodun up in Aberdeen.I spent a few great Hogmanay,s there when I used to work on the DSV vessels back in the 80s 90s.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Ian hope you have a goodun up in Aberdeen.I spent a few great Hogmanay,s there when I used to work on the DSV vessels back in the 80s 90s.

Cheers

Bob

So Bob, are you to blame for all those vessel horns going off at midnight on Hogmany down at the Harbour ? ;)

Mike hopefully meet up next April as I think we will be visiting Albercutx Tower on a few occasions.
Must try and meet up with Clive again too.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, I look forward to meeting you next year too, I haven't done much birding in Mallorca this year sad to say, so I want to do more next year. I have just been admiring your Moustached Warbler photos, they're superb, a difficult bird to get close to. Must catch up with Mike again too, I've been out of touch too long.

Clive.

No news today, very high winds.
I walked along the sea-front from Palma to Cala Gamba and back, hoping to see an Oystercatcher, Red-breasted merganser or Razorbill, all of which I still need for the BigYear.
Nothing much around, just a hopeful Osprey patrolling the beach and a few gulls being blown around.
Mike

An afternoon walk around Mondragó was very pleasant.
Nothing like the numbers of Goldcrest that were present last week but I managed to see five which is still a good number for this site.
Crossbills were very active as they always are at this time of the year, a Peregrine flashed by, five Common Kestrel, Red Kite, Linnet, lots of Robins and even more Black Redstarts.
A Blue Rock Thrush put in an appearance and five Meadow pipits were on the rocks.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back