• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Kowa BD II 6.5x32 XD (2 Viewers)

Thank you Simpleman19 for sharing your careful experience of this interesting binocular! The impression I got based on what I read so far is that I will get this model if I find the eye relief to be satisfying for me.

You are welcome. The eye relief... I honestly have found it very easy to get behind and have not experienced any sort of issue with the eye relief. The eye box is forging. When the eye cup is not extended to when it is fully extended (with my eyes against the cups throughout) I see a good image with no decline in image. I can also float my eyes off the fully extended eye cups by a couple Mil before seeing exit pupil.

Alright, I got to use the binoculars while there was snow on the ground and an abundance of leafless alder and birch. I didn’t notice any CA when I wasn’t looking for it, when I did look for it, it’s hardly noticeable in the centre and noticeable but not exaggerated on the outside of field of view.

From 95+ % the field of view from centre the field of view darkens to become unusable (not a big deal at all, since you really have to look to notice it.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain with these binoculars is the rain guards. They are as troubadour said: tight fitting.

I will live with it. Not about to go buy replacements.

Anyways, that’s my final virdict.

Love them. They are exactly what I was expecting and are a joy to use.

Alright, I got to use the binoculars while there was snow on the ground and an abundance of leafless alder and birch. I didn’t notice any CA when I wasn’t looking for it, when I did look for it, it’s hardly noticeable in the centre and noticeable but not exaggerated on the outside of field of view.

From 95+ % the field of view from centre the field of view darkens to become unusable (not a big deal at all, since you really have to look to notice it.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain with these binoculars is the rain guards. They are as troubadour said: tight fitting.

I will live with it. Not about to go buy replacements.

Anyways, that’s my final virdict.

Love them. They are exactly what I was expecting and are a joy to use.

Very nice assessment. My brother in law visited us recently and tried them out and is buying a pair to complement his Ultravids in the new year.

Lee

Very nice assessment. My brother in law visited us recently and tried them out and is buying a pair to complement his Ultravids in the new year.

Lee

Thanks for inspiration and comment. I hope I was able to give back at least a little compared to all the insight you have all given me.

I will try my best to given an honest review of the MeoStar b1.1 8x56’s I should be receiving today. I notice there is a lack of reviews on that binocular.

Thanks for inspiration and comment. I hope I was able to give back at least a little compared to all the insight you have all given me.

Simpleman, Yes you have certainly given back and I agree with all your excellent comments and observations. I am currently using foldable eye shields on my 6.5 and they do help some with glare, reflections etc.

If the original rainguard is still a problem for you (it never did work at all for me) the Opticron 45.5 mm BGA rainguard is an excellent option if you are inclined to try it. It has really made a big difference in field use for me.

Mike

I resisted as long as I could but ordered the Kowa's from B&H Tuesday and they arrived today.
First light was comparing them to my 8x32FL Zeiss and 10x32 CabelaHD (meopta)s.

My assessment is consistent with about reports.
Rain guard not too tight, focus was smooth but neck strap was a little short.
My only complaint was glare from bright sun when within 90 degrees.

My bottom line is other than FOV, mag, size and weight,
most binoculars with good glass are fairly equal.
(in spite of millions of words here otherwise)
I am happy with purchase and will use them for terrestrial as the car binocular.
They would also be good, I think , for outdoor sports.

edj

Simpleman, Yes you have certainly given back and I agree with all your excellent comments and observations. I am currently using foldable eye shields on my 6.5 and they do help some with glare, reflections etc.

If the original rainguard is still a problem for you (it never did work at all for me) the Opticron 45.5 mm BGA rainguard is an excellent option if you are inclined to try it. It has really made a big difference in field use for me.

Mike

Thanks Mike I will keep that in mind, happy New Years to you.

I bought a pair of these from Cleyspy when up in Norfolk last week, I`m very impressed so far and may add to the opinions on these as I use them on my home patch for the next however many weeks, my SF`s are having to go back to Germany as they are literally full of some kind of dust or contaminate inside, but that`s for another thread !

I have a question for the owners of these 6.5s... Are the surrounds that secure the external eyepiece lenses made out of metal, or are they made from reinforced plastic (as seems to be very common on even quite expensive binoculars these days - even ones made in Japan). It would be very helpful if someone could post up some nice sharp, close-up photos sahowing this detail. Many thanks.

Mando,
If I understand the question correctly, they appear, feel, and sound like metal as opposed to plastic. Unfortunately I have problems posting pictures.

Mike

I`v spent some more time with the Kowa today locally, and back on the 10th whilst still up in Norfolk. Friday 10th was my last day in Norfolk, I dropped my SF off at East Coast binocular repair at Ryston (I`m gutted to find it filled with some contaminate) and then spent the day at Holme and Titchwell. I was really surprised how little I missed the SF that day, combined with my 773 it made a great combination, and the superb central resolution made even distant shoreline Birds easy to identify.

Today has been really bright and sunny after a frosty start, I walked my Lab Ben through the mature woodlands above the river Tavy and Walkham. Honestly I would`nt have swapped the Kowa for anything else today, I saw Goldcrest and Tree Creeper, the huge fov and super steady image made finding and keeping track of small Birds so simple and an absolute joy.

I`v been on this forum nearly a decade now, I`m pretty certain regulars will have decided what they feel about my take on optics by now, well this low powered Kowa has impressed me more than any other binocular I`v posted about in my time here, it delivers way beyond my expectations, if I had just this and my 773 from this day forward, I`d be perfectly content.

What a gem of a Birding tool.

Torview,

That's a pretty impressive description, but probably merited from the few minutes I enjoyed with one at Birdfair. I hate tripods so usually make do with 10x, but life is just a bit more chilled with a lower power. I liked the little Kowa a lot too.

David

I`v spent some more time with the Kowa today locally, and back on the 10th whilst still up in Norfolk. Friday 10th was my last day in Norfolk, I dropped my SF off at East Coast binocular repair at Ryston (I`m gutted to find it filled with some contaminate) and then spent the day at Holme and Titchwell. I was really surprised how little I missed the SF that day, combined with my 773 it made a great combination, and the superb central resolution made even distant shoreline Birds easy to identify.

Today has been really bright and sunny after a frosty start, I walked my Lab Ben through the mature woodlands above the river Tavy and Walkham. Honestly I would`nt have swapped the Kowa for anything else today, I saw Goldcrest and Tree Creeper, the huge fov and super steady image made finding and keeping track of small Birds so simple and an absolute joy.

I`v been on this forum nearly a decade now, I`m pretty certain regulars will have decided what they feel about my take on optics by now, well this low powered Kowa has impressed me more than any other binocular I`v posted about in my time here, it delivers way beyond my expectations, if I had just this and my 773 from this day forward, I`d be perfectly content.

What a gem of a Birding tool.

Torview

I have been using one locally and I would not argue with your description at all. More impressive still is that when I leave them near a window at home, when I come back to them I always find that the IPD is wider than mine. This means Troubadoris likes them!

Lee

Torview

I have been using one locally and I would not argue with your description at all. More impressive still is that when I leave them near a window at home, when I come back to them I always find that the IPD is wider than mine. This means Troubadoris likes them!

Lee

Lee, from what I`v read in your posts over the years this is serious approval :t:

After reading about it on this thread I ordered a Kowa BDII 6.5 x32 Wide Angle Binocular with XD Lens from Camera Land today. I will probably get it on Wednesday.:t: And I am looking forward to it with great anticipation!:king:B :)

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back