• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod stability 3 or 4 section leg (1 Viewer)

Reini

Anyone experience with a gitzo carbon tripod 1227 or 1228? Is the stability better with 3 section leg than 4 ? Is this a good combination with the 701RC2 head and my Leica APO Televid77 for digiscoping? Spezial quick release plate necessary? Stability if there is wind? I knew it's incompatible with wish to have a light tripod for walk.

Nevertheless anyone experience with this equipment?
----------
Reini

Reini said:
Anyone experience with a gitzo carbon tripod 1227 or 1228? Is the stability better with 3 section leg than 4 ? Is this a good combination with the 701RC2 head and my Leica APO Televid77 for digiscoping? Spezial quick release plate necessary? Stability if there is wind? I knew it's incompatible with wish to have a light tripod for walk. Nevertheless anyone experience with this equipment? Reini

I have a 4 section carbon tripod by Velbon, and I think its stability is great. And Gitzo should be just as sturdy. I also use my tripod for a Leica APO Televid 77, by the way.

My gripes with my Velbon Sherpa Pro 6400 /Carmagne 640 is about some other things. For one, that tightening ring for the center column is BELOW the base which means it cannot be handled when the legs are closed. That is a real bother when I want to use the tripod in the car. In addition, the ring is hard to operate under any condition. Gitzo and Manfrotto have a better solution here.

Second, my Velbon's tightening rings on the legs need to be fastened extremely well before I can work on the next one below. Otherwise, all the elements of that leg get turned instead of fastened. :C

It's a real hassle, and I think I will try to sell that tripod. I had chosen that tripod specifically because of a report found in the internet (not in BF) saying that this was a problem encountered with Gitzo but not with Velbon. All the people I have since met with a Gitzo carbon tripod had no complaints of this sort at all!

Robert

Last edited:
I've had my 1227 for a few weeks and love it. I've had the Bogen 3001, 3011, 3021 and 3246. All usually used with a 3130 head.

The Bogens were decent, but the 1227 provides the best stability/weight ratio. There is still some wind shake, but noticably less than the aluminum Bogens.

According to a post in another thread yesterday, the 701 still uses the 3157 plate. However it fits transversely onto the head. Therefore the new Swaro scopes will require a plate. This willl probably keep me from getting the 701.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back