• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstart Birding (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
I see that Ben Lizdas (ex-Eagle Optics) and Bill Thompson III (of Bird Watcher's Digest) have a new online optics store:

https://redstartbirding.com

Nice to see Ben's optics expertise hasn't been lost to optics retailing forever.

Good luck with the new venture gentlemen!

Bird Watcher's Digest/Redstart Birding was a better fit for my skill set Bill. Not only do I get to help people sort through optics, but I also get a chance to lead birding tours, produce a podcast,
and write content for the magazine.
Ben

Last edited:
Bird Watcher's Digest/Redstart Birding was a better fit for my skill set Dan. Not only do I get to help people sort through optics, but I also get a chance to lead birding tours, produce a podcast,
and write content for the magazine.
Ben

Hi, Ben:

'Bet, you're the turkey buzzard who has kept me from getting a writing gig with them. 'Hope you're happy now; my kids were hoping to get something to eat ... this month! Seriously, if there's ever anything I can do for BWD ... just pull my chain. Softly, as old bones break easily. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Ben - Glad to see this. I appreciate your help in the few times I emailed you at EO and at the 2014 Optics Expo. Although this is a new venture, I think you guys are poised to be a market leader if things go right. :t:

Thanks Pete. I'm thrilled to be back helping birders sort through optics.
Cheers,
Ben

WOW....Great News! Heartfelt CONGRATS from Connie & I!

It's wonderful to hear\see you back in the Optics Sales Saddle, Ben. Know Redstart Birding will be a success with you leading the way.

We are still reminiscing about the wonderful excursion experiences in Austria 2016, with you and Eagle optics! Thrilled you are back on the bird touring circuit and find the sharing of experiences at BWD podcast a wealth of knowledge, fun and humor!

Take Care,

Ted

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of Opticron Traveller 8x32. It was kind of a mixed bag dealing with them but I'm not going into it here. The great part for me at least is they had the price listed incorrectly on their website and so they gave it to me along with their Grand Opening Discount so I got a screaming deal on these guys. All's well that ends.

If anyone is interested in my customer service experience in detail you can PM me.

Ben, Didn't know you followed the forum I just posted some of my memories of EO on another thread. Great to know that you're back in optics but you sold me so much stuff at EO I can't think of anything right now but great to see your back.
Steve Lineback

Folks I really hate to report this about this particular new business but I placed and order with them pretty excited about helping them get started but I've gotten the worst customer service I've gotten in my years of buying dozens of pairs of binoculars. And at this time nobody knows where my order is or what it's status is. According to them when I placed this order I was supposed to have it on Tues or Wed at the latest but as of today they can't tell me if it's even been shipped. There's more to this unfortunately but I'm not going to say too much until this gets resolved. This is very likely my first and last order with this company. This makes me very sad because I really wanted to like these guys and support Ben Lizdas in his new venture.

Not a good experience with Redstart...

I ordered a pair of 8x25 Victory's from them recently, paid extra for express shipping to make a vacation birding/biking tour, making it clear on the phone why I was doing so. They shipped the Terra's instead. The packing job was horrible, a loose box in a much larger box with a crumpled wad of paper tossed in. Even if they were Victory's I would have sent them back given what could have happened in shipping. I was out of town for a while; they refunded me and sent a return shipping label which expired while I was away. The Terra's sat here for nearly a month until I reminded them they needed to send me another shipping label. It did make me wonder if they would have noticed...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back