• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 10x42 v SV 12x50 (2 Viewers)

Scarletmacawdad

I have been using these side by side for several weeks now.

I started a thread with the query - why does the Leica seem "brighter"?

That was the wrong way of putting it.

I have since put both bins on a tripod for further comparison.

In all pre-twilight conditions, the Noctivid shows more detail - its just smaller.

But that detail is lost at the 12x of the Swaro.

I really can't account for this. Should I send the Swaro's in?

Thank you all in advance.

The comparison is interesting, because they are two excellent tools.
But the fact that a 10x sees more detail than a 12x, indicates two possibilities: either 10x is super-fantastic, or 12x has something that doesn't work well.
I could assume that the Noctivid is a great pair of binoculars, but I can't believe that the Swaro is as deficient as it seems from your story.

The observation you made is about backlighting?

"In all pre-twilight conditions, the Noctivid shows more detail - its just smaller."

I have noticed what you are seeing and I think it is due to the difference in magnifications of 10x and 12x. The Noctivid at 10x shows objects smaller so it looks like you are seeing more detail and the SV at 12x shows the objects bigger and they don't seem to have as much detail to your eyes. Do this. Try reading some very small numbers at distance with the Noctivid and the SV. You will find that it is easier to read the numbers with the SV even though they might not seem as detailed. The SV at 12x is definitely going to show more detail easier than the 10x Noctivid. I doubt if the SV is defective. Not too many Swaro's are defective optically unless you have a rare bird.

The SV at 12x is definitely going to show more detail easier than the 10x Noctivid.
The vision of the details, however, depends on many factors, including the simple dirt on the lenses (especially the eyepieces), the transparency, the contrast and some variables of the aberrations and their corrections.
Without excluding a defective specimen.

The information that Scarlet brings us is not so complete to be able to draw absolute conclusions "I doubt the SV is defective. Not too many Swaro are optically defective unless you have a rare bird." ;)

Is not an increase in magnification a sacrifice to the resolution?

You may want to check the 12X50s out, correct IPD, accurate diopter setting at distance >200 feet.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Scarlet:
You are comparing apples to oranges, as in a 10X binocular to a 12X.
A 10 power binocular can be used easily handheld, but a 12X is better tripod mounted, as there
is a large difference with stability.
You mentioned sending the Swarovski EL 12x50 in. What does that mean ?

Jerry

I have been using these side by side for several weeks now.

I started a thread with the query - why does the Leica seem "brighter"?

That was the wrong way of putting it.

I have since put both bins on a tripod for further comparison.

In all pre-twilight conditions, the Noctivid shows more detail - its just smaller.

But that detail is lost at the 12x of the Swaro.

I really can't account for this. Should I send the Swaro's in?

Thank you all in advance.

Think your Swaro is not up to snuff.
A tripod mounted 12x50 should outresolve a 10x42. If it does not, there is a problem.
If you could take a couple of pictures of the two images with your phone, you could objectively highlight the issue for Swaro.
Note that 12x50 is a splendid birding glass, super for hawk watches and shore birds, but also good for picking out small passerines in the treetops during migration. So it is well worth making sure that this instrument is properly tuned.

Think your Swaro is not up to snuff.
A tripod mounted 12x50 should outresolve a 10x42. If it does not, there is a problem.
If you could take a couple of pictures of the two images with your phone, you could objectively highlight the issue for Swaro.
Note that 12x50 is a splendid birding glass, super for hawk watches and shore birds, but also good for picking out small passerines in the treetops during migration. So it is well worth making sure that this instrument is properly tuned.

Thank you!!

Have you tried looking through only one side of the Swaro's to see if there an alignment problem with the optics?

Have you check the diopter adjustment to be sure it has not been moved by accident?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back