• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In an Island garden (2 Viewers)

It was pure chance, I could easily have overlooked them!!

The only amphibian that we're suposed to have is the Common frog, Jersey has Agile frogs... which are smaller.. and don't lay eggs in clumps.. which mine do!.. Edible frogs are green.. mine are brown!

I had a nice surprise on Little Sark this morning... saw a couple of Skylarks flying into a field, A quick look just to check... Hmmmm... eyestripes... meeting at a 'v' behind the head... 56, Woodlark (x2) There's been a couple of reports of them on Guernsey lately. (Listed as "accidental" in the Sark list).

Congrats on the Woodlark. A truely class find.

CB

Nearly all the cold weather migrants have now left... on a long walk round today, I only saw 7 Redwing, and 2 mistle thrushes, no fieldfare, lapwing or larks.

BTO Atlas, timed tetrad WV47T

I signed up for two tetrads on the BTO Atlas survey. Up to now absolutely no records have ben submitted for Sark... at all.... So i thought I should!

Here are the raw results for WV47T, a 2 km Square covering the southern part of "Big" Sark.. I did two hour long surveys, numbers seen in the second hour are in brackets.

It gives a good indication of the proportions of species rather than overall numbers

In no particular order:-

Chaffinch................9 (1)
Blue tit...................3 (6)
Great tit.................16 (13)
Dunnock.................5 (4)
Robin.....................9 (5)
Blackbird................11 (20)
Song thrush............5 (1)
Redwing.................3 (4)
Wren.....................4 (8)
Firecrest................1 (1)
Magpie..................13 (6)
Carrion Crow..........70 (25)
Herring gull.............79 (154)
Mallard..................13 (0)
Collared Dove..........2 (0)
Wood Pigeon...........0 (32)
Kestrel...................1 (0)
Moorhen.................2 (0)
Pheasant................5 (1)
Long-tailed tit.........4 (12)
Pied wagtail............1 (0)
Meadow pipit..........1 (1)
Greater Black B'd Gull2 (8)
Fulmar....................3 (6)
Buteo buteo (!)........1 (0)
Woodcock...............1 (0)
Peregine.................0 (2)
Shag......................0 (3)
Cormorant...............0 (1)
Mistle thrush............0 (2)
Grey Wagtail............0 (1)

Speices not seen.. but I know they are there, include, House sparrow, Goldcrest, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Fieldfare etc.....

I like your Flickr pages offering an insight into the photographic potential of Sark!

Did the Banana tree produce fruit to any degree?

Oh I tried to reply to this a couple of hours ago... hmmm seemed to get sidetracked.

You really have a super selection there - very jealous of the Firecrest.

D

I like your Flickr pages offering an insight into the photographic potential of Sark!

Did the Banana tree produce fruit to any degree?

I could do wonders with a decent camera!

The Bananas fruited.. but they're not the edible type.. so just wee things.. I'll try to remember to take a photo!.. they got hit hard by the snow and frost!

The Flickr pages http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisonsark/ are just a few snaps I've been taking for my Mum... no birds.. just pretty pics.. from a lateral point of view.. of an stunning Island!

I had a quick look at your Flickr page. I guess you've already figured it out, but just in case: the writing carved on the rock is Tibetan and says, "Om Mani Padme Hum" (Heart of the Lotus).

I had a quick look at your Flickr page. I guess you've already figured it out, but just in case: the writing carved on the rock is Tibetan and says, "Om Mani Padme Hum" (Heart of the Lotus).

Thanks Chow. I've had a few variations on that theme ( On another forum)... such as "Hail to the jewel in the lotus".... but I'm getting the gist, if not the actual translation!

It seems apt

The rock is in a beautiful location near the North tip of the Island

Attachments

• ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 60
A fanfare of trumpets.. the assembled crowd cheer enthusiastically, throwing their hats into the air with gay abandon.... The rumours are true... Sark has (57,) Dartford warblers.

I'd heard they used to be here... and they could still be here... I was told where to look... and have spent three months looking... and today I found them... somewhere else!

They're not a bird I know well, I've not seen one for eight years... mainly because i was in Argyll!.. Lovely wee things, nice churring noise and long floppy tails when they fly!

Other highlights today were Chiffchaffs, Firecrests, Stonechats, Redwings and 3 skylarks

Last edited:
A fanfare of trumpets.. the assembled crowd cheer enthusiastically, throwing their hats into the air with gay abandon.... The rumours are true... Sark has (57,) Dartford warblers.

I'd heard they used to be here... and they could still be here... I was told where to look... and have spent three months looking... and today I found them... somewhere else!

They're not a bird I know well, I've not seen one for eight years... mainly because i was in Argyll!.. Lovely wee things, nice churring noise and long floppy tails when they fly!

Other highlights today were Chiffchaffs, Firecrests, Stonechats, Redwings and 3 skylarks

Good find, I'd be most chuffed to find Dartford Warbler up here ...I think the Dartford would not be terribly chuffed however!

58, Siskin... 4 of then... on someone else's feeders! Bah!

Other highlights this morning Dartford warblers, now I know where to look, Black redstart, 20 Goldfinches.. and a Firecrest count of 3!

I took a trip over to Guernsey (urgh.. full of nasty cars!).. just off Sark Harbours was a raft of 59, Ra7orbills. and a good view of Shags glinting green in the sunshine... and a Gannet.

Building nicely Quercus.

You had a right culture shock heading into civilisation after months out of it, didn't you.

D

PS haven't you got your keyboard sorted yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back