• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Siskin (1 Viewer)

aquiller

Hello, I'm a new member and it's my first message. I spend a few months here in Mojacar Spain, now we are retired. This morning when having an early walk along the playa, we found the bodies of three baby siskins, then we found two more, one almost dead and one still alive, but looking very frightend. I carried it home under my jacket and I've managed to get it to feed, by mixing some crushed seeds with a little cheese with a little soya milk to bind it together, we also managed to catch a fly. I've cut out a little scoop from a margarine tub lid. After letting it rest in a nice warm woollen lined nest (in a ice cream tub) I managed to get it to open its gape and allow me to shovel in some food. Does anyone know how often they should be fed, and any suggestions for food. It was Bank holiday here, so no shops open, I just had to use what I had available. We have also befriended a Wagtail, who has an injured foot, it can fly ok, but it's wing seems to have been damaged too. It sits on the chair back or on the table looking in the window and tweets until I go out to feed it, when we sit out on the back patio, it again calls for food, then settles down on the wall under a shrub and sings happily.

Hi aquiller and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have guidelines for you here. Baby birds should generally only be given insect, caterpillars and worms, etc. They get all the moisture they need from that source. Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back