• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin or Purple Sandpiper? (1 Viewer)

johndunlop1980

Hi There,

In my endeavour to hit a life list of 200 before the end of the year (with 17 species still to see), I’ve come to Troon Harbour to see if I could get sight of the recently reported Purple Sandpipers. I’ve taken some blurry photos and due to visibility the colour of the legs and beak aren’t very clear so I’m a bit unsure as to whether I’ve got them or if it’s a pair of Dunlin I’m looking at. If it’s Dunlin, could someone please explain what I’m looking for in terms of differences other than the legs and beak colour? I’d appreciate any help at all, thanks.

Attachments

• 3CEA7129-E79B-4D39-8FE4-13E7841F739C.jpg
    3CEA7129-E79B-4D39-8FE4-13E7841F739C.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 1C6692B4-5146-4678-B15E-52668FE1CA24.jpg
    1C6692B4-5146-4678-B15E-52668FE1CA24.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 7E92320D-1A98-4665-93CE-310F8E137B36.jpg
    7E92320D-1A98-4665-93CE-310F8E137B36.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 102
  • C001BFD8-D313-4848-9417-A1820FA05807.jpg
    C001BFD8-D313-4848-9417-A1820FA05807.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 183
  • A9FBF1D5-2BDF-413A-BF04-4272D87B9429.jpg
    A9FBF1D5-2BDF-413A-BF04-4272D87B9429.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 95
Thank you both. I didn’t look at Knots when I looked up similar species because of the usual reddish plumage, but when I looked after seeing your suggestion and had a look at the better photos I have I can see you guys are spot on, thanks again.

'Red' Knots are only in red summer plumage for about 3 months, during most of which they're in the near-uninhabited high arctic. The rest of the year, they're grey. Very rare to see them red. One of the least useful bird names around!

That is because, like a lot of birds, they were first named when in Winter not nuptial plumage e.g. ‘Grey’ Phalarope so not surprising really as travel was only for the really wealthy and that was limited to ‘The Grand Tour’ (no, the other one;)) and Valley of the Kings type stuff:t:

Laurie -

'Red' Knots are only in red summer plumage for about 3 months, during most of which they're in the near-uninhabited high arctic. The rest of the year, they're grey. Very rare to see them red. One of the least useful bird names around!

Maybe for you, but the names are also used in other parts of the world.
Where I am (Hong Kong) they are commonest in spring, in red breeding plumage. We also get Great Knot here.

So the names are actually pretty convenient for beginners here - Red Knot are red, Great Knot are big.

Where I am (Hong Kong) they are commonest in spring, in red breeding plumage.
I guess the Asian subspecies must moult a lot earlier in the spring? Knot migrating N through Brtiain (nominate canutus and islandica) are mostly still in winter plumage, only a handful of late birds (mid to late May on) have started to get summer plumage. The first returning birds in August (only canutus, as islandica don't return until later as they stopover in Iceland) are still largely in summer plumage, though already moulting, and lose the rest of their red within a week or two.

Dunlin or purple Sandpiper

I,ve only seen four knot in derbyshire all within one year two of those birds were in winter plumage and that site doe,s not exist anymore thee other site still does and that is in the white peak of the peak district in derbyshire it was the 24th of july 1988 and for me it was a highlight in my memory and still is to actually see two knot arrive on the site for around 10 minutes before they departed both birds were in full summer plumage I knew I was very lucky to see them I wondered If they were failed breeders and decided to return back early hence why they were so colourful I only wished they had stayed longer there to observe, since those birds I saw a flock of knot at titchwell in the 1990,s it was may time most of those birds were in summer plumage but they somehow lacked the deep red plumage and slate grey backs that the derbyshire birds had but some of that may have been down to light conditions, they would have been stunning birds to have videoed or photographed for the county.

In eastern N. America, almost all spring Red Knots are in breeding plumage as well, especially considering that their prime migration window is mid-May to early June.

Go in May to North Sea (around Helgoland for example), there are thousands of really, really red Red Knots.
A beautiful sight, but only for a few days, though. Then a few more days red when they return from the Taimyr high arctic tundra. Then they're grey from late August right through to early May :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back