• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor-Chang Mai (1 Viewer)

Gordon

A friend asked for help with this one - only this pic.

Thanks in advance
Gordon

Attachments

• received_340804129854232.jpeg
    received_340804129854232.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 71
It has a look of a larger bird, such a hawk-eagle (too heavy body for honey-buzzards IMO), but the photo is too blurred. In which country is "Chang Mai" ?

Thanks for the comments.

I should have stated that the bird was said to be much bigger than a Buzzard. I had it down as a Changeable Hawk-eagle before I asked for opinions here.

Thanks for the comments.

I should have stated that the bird was said to be much bigger than a Buzzard. I had it down as a Changeable Hawk-eagle before I asked for opinions here.

Oriental Honey Buzzard is a large bird, wing span can be even longer than that of Changeable Hawk Eagle. The weight is a different case : the Hawk Eagle is much heavier. Size is difficult to judge in the sky, not to say impossible. I think, however, that the shape clearly excludes the Honey Buzzard option.

Useful photo link that is highly suggestive of Changeable Hawk Eagle for me.
The tail has three bars in a typical configuration for Oriental Honey Buzzard. As the comparison image shows, Changeable Hawk Eagle has five bars. I think therefore it is OHB.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back