• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Guillemots (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hi could anyone tell me if there are black guillemots around the south stack area please and if so what times of year are they there,pm welcome.Many thanks Michael.

Yes there are tysties (black guillemots) at south stack. Apparently a few pairs breed in Holyhead harbour. They are there all year but go from April to June to see them breeding and in their breeding plumage. In winter they are white with black spots and streaks.

Hi could anyone tell me if there are black guillemots around the south stack area please and if so what times of year are they there,pm welcome.Many thanks Michael.

2 in the outer harbour yesterday. Go down to the ferry terminal, at the roundabout take the exit after the ferry entrance, take next left and follow to the end. They were in the harbour there.

Phil

Would there be any tysties around in the latter part of August? I guess most would have moved out to sea, but would it still be worth checking the harbour around this time?
Cheers

Taking the Puffin Island 'Cruise' out of Beaumaris in July always turns up cracking views of Black Guillemot ( as well as really close views of Puffin ). Phil's directions to the Fish Quay / Outer Harbour lead to the most regular site where the birds are easy to see.

Chris

many thanks, heres hoping. Also going to try for any migrants around south stack, the whole area towards the mountain looks like it could pull something in...black lark?

I think the Fish Quay as directed by Phil above is reliable all year.

Good luck with finding a rare migrant, not another Black Lark though - perhaps a UK first instead!

Hi, all i didn't go last year but would am planning a trip Sunday,the weather is supposed to be very wet and windy,a Tystie and a chough would be nice what are the chances do you think?
Cheers
Mick

hi all, i believe manx shearwater can be seen of anglesey in august, but not sure is it early or later in the month?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back