• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annapurna trek (1) (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Hi, everybody. I´ve just arrived from an Annapurna trek with lots of photos and just as many questions. I´m struggling to id. them using the Internet, but I can´t always make it. Here is my first set of questions:

1.White browed finch 3.jpg

2.Large billed forum.jpg

3.Finch.jpg

1. White-browed rosefinch?
2. Large-billed crow?
3. Some kind of finch?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
1 Looks like Dark-breasted Rosefinch.
2 Very steep forehead, Jungle Crow I think?
3 Is a female Rosefinch but no books here right now.

Last edited:
The best way to identify the Crow, apart from getting a clear view of the tail, would be to say where you saw it. The Jungle Crows would be found at the base of the Himalayas, mostly in "terai" - trouble is, Nepal seems to have both, with Eastern found in the south-eastern half and Indian in the south-west. Large-billed would be found higher up in the mountains proper, I think.

Let's make the crow story a bit more complex.
Large-billed/macrorhynchos can be seen on hill sides and forests (KTM valley above 1500m with rarely one venturing to valley floor) and indeed on all the trekking routes.
A form that is a bit Eastern Jungle/Levaillantii and a bit culminatus (straight tail, no croaky voice) can be found on Kathmandu valley floor and other valleys (Nepal Jungle Crow). They come closer to human habitation and also have bred in my garden, 3m from my bedroom window. Rarely they venture up hill slopes and in to forests. When studying the bills of all the JUngle/LB Crows I photographed here, I got very confused, so I gave up. I wrote about it in my book: The Birds of Bagmati and Taudaha Area, 2003-2016. Maybe there is no clear boundary between Eastern, Indian Jungle and Nepal Jungle Crow.

Let's make the crow story a bit more complex.
Large-billed/macrorhynchos can be seen on hill sides and forests (KTM valley above 1500m with rarely one venturing to valley floor) and indeed on all the trekking routes.
A form that is a bit Eastern Jungle/Levaillantii and a bit culminatus (straight tail, no croaky voice) can be found on Kathmandu valley floor and other valleys (Nepal Jungle Crow). They come closer to human habitation and also have bred in my garden, 3m from my bedroom window. Rarely they venture up hill slopes and in to forests. When studying the bills of all the JUngle/LB Crows I photographed here, I got very confused, so I gave up. I wrote about it in my book: The Birds of Bagmati and Taudaha Area, 2003-2016. Maybe there is no clear boundary between Eastern, Indian Jungle and Nepal Jungle Crow.

|:S|

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back