• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

501HDV Head Pro, long pan bar akward (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

I used my Manfrotto 501HDV Pro head with my Canon 40D and Canon EF 100-400 IS USM lens today for the first time and found the pan bar too long and in the way. I set pan bar angle to different positions and placed it on the opposite side but it felt awkward to me.

I know I could remove the arm but I prefer to have something to hold on to when I pan the camera.

I'm curious if anyone has found a shorter arm for the 501HDV Pro? I didn't see one in their 2006/2007 video catalog pdf.

Has anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

Thanks!

Dana

You could get a two section arm for the previous version of this head, this could be split and used as a short arm, I don't knwo if these are available for the new one.

Thanks Postcardcv,

I didn't see one of these listed for my model but they may have one I missed. If the older version used the same type of method to connect the pan bar to the head that may work out.

They sell a remote control pro pan bar thats adjustable in length. The remote is for video cameras, maybe I could order just the pan bar as a spare part.

Thanks Again,

Dana

Hi All,

I used my Manfrotto 501HDV Pro head with my Canon 40D and Canon EF 100-400 IS USM lens today for the first time and found the pan bar too long and in the way. I set pan bar angle to different positions and placed it on the opposite side but it felt awkward to me.

I know I could remove the arm but I prefer to have something to hold on to when I pan the camera.

I'm curious if anyone has found a shorter arm for the 501HDV Pro? I didn't see one in their 2006/2007 video catalog pdf.

Has anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

Thanks!

Dana

Hello,
a friend of mine with the same problem sorted it out by cutting away a few centimetres of the bar (in the middle), inserted a thinner metal "soul" in it, and screwed two small screws on each end to fasten it all .. some craftmanship needed, but it seems to work quite well
Cheers,
Max

Hello,
a friend of mine with the same problem sorted it out by cutting away a few centimetres of the bar (in the middle), inserted a thinner metal "soul" in it, and screwed two small screws on each end to fasten it all .. some craftmanship needed, but it seems to work quite well
Cheers,
Max

Thanks Max,

I'm awful at the do it yourself projects but finding a local company to modify the bar is an option. With the remote control bar they sell, they mention "it doesn't come with any parts to fit to the head, but instead utilizes the pan bar clamp that comes with all Manfrotto heads." I didn't look yet for this pan bar clamp but maybe it can attach another shorter pan bar (shrug).

Thanks!

Dana

Why not make your own bar? On my 128RC2 head, the pan bar is 1/2" (13mm) diameter; real simple to find the stock and cut it to length. If you want padding, a little foam goes a long way.

Why not make your own bar? On my 128RC2 head, the pan bar is 1/2" (13mm) diameter; real simple to find the stock and cut it to length. If you want padding, a little foam goes a long way.

Thanks GR,

Making one never crossed my mind. If I could have the bar cut where I buy it I should be able to handle the padding.

Thanks!

You could get a two section arm for the previous version of this head, this could be split and used as a short arm, I don't knwo if these are available for the new one.

I did look at the spare parts for previous version (501). It does look like the arm may fit on the 501HDV. I'll try to find a measurement on this arm and see if it will let me get close in to the camera.

I like the idea of both options if the 501 arm works out. GR's idea of buying a bar and adding the padding would let me build a short bar enough to move the head.

Great ideas!

Thanks,

Dana

Why don't take off the handle bar? panning with just grabing the camera handle is very easy with this head. right hand on the camera and shutter, left hand on the focus ring or on top of the lens for added stability. At least, just cut it just before the curve start.

Why don't take off the handle bar? panning with just grabing the camera handle is very easy with this head. right hand on the camera and shutter, left hand on the focus ring or on top of the lens for added stability. At least, just cut it just before the curve start.

Hi Avan,

I should have followed up on this one. Good news!

I ordered a replacement pan bar and a friend was able to cut the tube down for me. The black foam like handle on the replacement was not hot glued to the metal bar like the pan bar that came with the head.

We were able to remove the foam handle and he used a tool that gripped the round bar and he spun the tool several times until it cut off a length of the bar. The handle went back on no problem. It's been very nice to use.

I have some medical issues and the pan bar really helps me get a better grip to pan the camera and hold a remote shutter release. I have to find alternate ways of doing things with the weakness in my hands. In the future I'll end up purchasing a nice gimbal head if I purchase a prime lens.

The fluid head works good with a Canon 40D and Canon 100-400mm lens. I haven't digiscoped since I have had the DSLR but plan to once the weather is a little better here (Massachusetts)

If anyone is interested I can post photos and ask what the tools was.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back