Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New pentax 65EDA-II eyepeice lock ring stuck.

Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 11:53   #1
sixtus

New pentax 65EDA-II eyepeice lock ring stuck.

Bought it yesterday, had enjoyed the straight angled version in the past and always wanted the angled for easier viewing along with some casual stargazing.

Got it home, was unable to loosen or move the eyepiece retention or lock ring, whatever its called . I called the store who are a camera retailer and not knowledgeable on them and was referred to the warranty technicians in another city. While they haven't had a chance to examine it yet they advised its clearly faulty and to return it for exchange.

Good service but a little dissappointing as the 65ED doesn't seem to attract many bad purchase reports. It did this time. I guess anything mass produced will turn up fails eventually.
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 14:37   #2
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

When you received the scope, was the eyepiece installed, or are you trying to loosen the retainer to remove the shipping plug?
Latest lifer: #375 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #342 King Rail
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #302 Sabine's Gull
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 20:18   #3
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
Bought it yesterday.
Got it home, was unable to loosen or move the eyepiece retention or lock ring, whatever its called . I called the store who are a camera retailer and not knowledgeable on them and was referred to the warranty technicians in another city. While they haven't had a chance to examine it yet they advised its clearly faulty and to return it for .
Hi ... I have handled many of the little Pentax. From experience, itís pretty easy to over tighten that locking ring. Try removing the small screws on top of the locking ring, which will enable you to better see and feel if the mechanism that screws up and down is at fault. Just be careful not to loose those small screws. One time I over tighten that ring and when I took the lock ring cover off (thatís all it is ) I was able to loosen it back to normal.
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 07:08   #4
sixtus

Thanks folks it was returned today. I'm in a fairly very remote region support wise so decided its easier to start over given the option.
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 10:05   #5
gcole

Quote:
Thanks folks it was returned today. I'm in a fairly very remote region support wise so decided its easier to start over given the option.
Just remember ..... that locking ring just needs a little snug turn to tighten the eyepiece in place.
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 10:17   #6
sixtus

Thanks I've owned the Pentax 65 in years past as mentioned. I wont' be buying another at this stage as I got a full refund. When checking out this fault online I noticed the reports of this scope snapping in half due to its plastic threaded midsection. No longer interested in the Pentax 65
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 11:01   #7
gcole

Quote:
Thanks I've owned the Pentax 65 in years past as mentioned. I wont' be buying another at this stage as I got a full refund. When checking out this fault online I noticed the reports of this scope snapping in half due to its plastic threaded midsection. No longer interested in the Pentax 65
If you can find the updated version of the Pentax PF ED, the Pentax PR ED sold outside of the USA ...... Its built like a tank with a redesigned body which is as indestructible as your ever going to find. Plus its optics are of high quality. I owned the 65mm version. I think this scope could survive the most extreme handling of all the spotting scopes I have ever handled.
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 14:39   #8
sixtus

Thanks Gcole sounds interesting. id say they dont bring them in here either and the pentax distributor only honors warranty for units it brings in. I could never get a straight answer in advance as to who to seek international warranty from for 'grey imports'( one offs) landed in Australia.

For an out of USA product for example, where would you send yours? An international center or Richoh in the USA? Be interested to know if there is an international option which is verified by use.

Last edited by sixtus : Thursday 22nd August 2019 at 14:45.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: