• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sennheiser ME67 handling noise (1 Viewer)

stweb

G'day,

I have a new Sennheiser ME67. It's a very sensitive mic. I have experienced EXTREME low frequency handling noise with the bass roll-off switch off and high to maximum gain. Is this normal? I am using a shock mount. This problem was totally unexpected as my Audiotechnica 835b was excellent in the mic grip and with the bass roll off switch off.

The noise is there with two different recorders (Sony Minidisc and Sony M10). Changing cables doesn't help. The noise occurs mostly when moving the microphone in a vertical plane. I can record if I am careful to hold the mic still, which doesn't help when tracking or targeting birds or if I use the roll-off switch, which I would rather avoid for pigeons and doves etc.

Is such handling noise normal with Sennheiser ME67 (or ME66, which has similar sensitivity). Or could there be something loose in my mic. It's still under warranty.

Happy recording, Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I use the Sennheiser ME67/K6 microphone with an Olympus LS-11 recorder.

I have the ME67/K6 mounted on a pistol grip using an Azden SMH-1 shock mount and I found that the ME67 mic is so long and front end heavy that it presses the shockmount rings down so the mic just touches the frame of the shock mount with any movement producing a soft clunking noise of sorts...

The fix for mine was simple, I put a piece of thin packaging foam folded double under the ME67 just inside the front end of the shock mount and this stopped almost all of the handling noise... It only clunks now if I move it suddenly or too fast... It works well enough that I'd pretty much forgot about it until you posted your comment...

I also have a ME66/K6 mike and it is not as front heavy and I did not have the problem with it that I did originally with the ME67.
They are both great microphones, its just a matter of getting the ME67 mounted so it doesn't bob up and down and hit the mount. Its become my regular microphone for field work when I'm recording a specific bird, critter, or sound, lately mostly frogs...

Happy Recording...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back