Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Results from colour-ring reading

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 11th July 2011, 10:58   #1
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Results from colour-ring reading

In recent years I have become a somewhat obsessive ring-reader. It started with Cormorants and Mute Swans at Rutland Water, then Pink-footed Geese in Norfolk, and now I spend ages peering through a 75x eyepiece at gulls' legs on a local rubbish tip.

I am starting this thread to flag up the interesting info that ring-readers get back from their efforts. And maybe to encourage more people to start noting colour-rings.

If anyone needs help tracing a colour-ring then this thread could be the place to post it.

Steve
Old Monday 11th July 2011, 11:09   #2
Steve Lister

To start off with, last week I spent four hours with 1300 Lesser Black-backed Gulls on Albert Village tip in Leicestershire.

There were at least ten colour-ringed birds and I managed to read five of them completely and one partially. Using the details on the excellent website www.cr-birding.be I have traced all six and have already had information back about five:

A first-summer ringed in northwest Germany (details awaited)
An adult ringed after recuperating from poisoning on a tip in southern Spain this April
A second-summer ringed as a chick in an industrial complex in Holland in 2009 and seen in Oxfordshire in 2010
A second-summer ringed on Gloucester landfill site in 2010
A second-summer ringed in southern Norway
A second-summer ringed as a chick in northern France in 2009 and seen in Spain in 2010

So six rings, six countries. Amazing.

Steve
Old Monday 11th July 2011, 15:20   #3
luke
A Welsh birder in Dorset!

I can second that ring reading is a great thing and good fun. I am fortunate to work at Radipole lake where Med Gull can number over 300 in winter. One one afternoon I have noted birds from 5 different countries including one from Hungary! I also had one from serbia last winter. I have also been involved with colour ringing herring gulls in Weymouth so can't wait until I start finding these birds!

Luke
Check out my blog at www.welshbirderindorset.blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th July 2011, 06:56   #4
IanF

We get quite a few waders passing through my area so we get a few colour rings throughout the year on such birds as Knot, Bklack-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Common Sandpiper etc. The last two winters we've had a couple colour ringed Shags as well that I've managed to read.

A few Avocet chicks have been colour ringed the last two years as well as seeing the odd bird from other areas moving in. This year from colour rings we saw a bird hatched locally in 2010 nesting and another hatched 2010 in Washington successfully raise three chicks. That info wouldn't have been picked up without colour ringing.

I've had some pretty speedy replies using the euring website and tracing the ringer to contact directly. However when the ringing scheme can't be identified the BTO scheme has been proving pretty unreliable with either no response from them or at best taking several months.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 30th July 2011, 16:05   #5
Steve Lister

We saw a Tufted Duck with a nasal saddle (not too keen on them to be honest) at Rutland Water on Tuesday....

Just had a commendably quick reply from the ringer, traced via www.cr-birding - it was ringed and saddled in northern France in November 2009.

Steve
Old Sunday 20th November 2011, 12:58   #6
Steve Lister

Another nasal saddled Tufted Duck was seen by Dave Gray at Watermead Country park, Leicester at the end of October. It turned out to have been a female that was caught while breeding in the Czech Republic - on the face of it a weird movement. And it had been seen on a fishing pond in south Derbyshire just before Dave saw it.

Steve
Old Sunday 20th November 2011, 14:05   #7
IanF

A colour ringed Purple Sandpiper seen at Whitburn, County Durham on 19/03/2011 and then again at Hartlepool Headland on 06/11/2011 was ringed at Svalbard / Spitzbergen on 02/09/2010 as a juvenile female.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th November 2011, 15:36   #8
IanF

Rather spookily I was just checking photos of colour ringed birds I took this morning when I came across another Purple Sandpiper with a lime green flag with lettering EJT.

Ringing details - ringed 18.09 2009 Trondsenneset, Svalbard (Spitsbergen)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5742a.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	357557  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5743a.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	357558  

Old Monday 21st November 2011, 08:00   #9
IanF

Another colour ringed bird from yesterday was a Knot with a green flag and colour rings.

The ring combination fits with those ringed in the Netherlands. I've sent off details so hopefully I'll receive a response with more info as to when and where it was ringed.

We've lots of colour ringed Curlew around at present as well but as I'm still awaiting a response from some submitted last year and this Spring I'm not bothering to send them in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5692aa.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	357704  

Old Monday 21st November 2011, 15:39   #10
IanF

A speedy response to my colour ring report of the knot. It took less than 24 hrs to get a reply.

The bird was ringed at De Richel, Netherlands on 02/09/2011. This is the first sighting since it was ringed.

The same bird was present about a mile away at Newburn Bridge this afternoon in amongst a large group of Knot including another Knot with just a metal ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6692a.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	357739  

Old Monday 21st November 2011, 16:40   #11
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
We've lots of colour ringed Curlew around at present as well but as I'm still awaiting a response from some submitted last year and this Spring I'm not bothering to send them in.
Weird isn't it? Why do they bother when they can't be bothered to reply to field sightings? I remember reading the colour rings on a Herring Gull in Scotland years ago, but no-one seemed to know anything about it!

However there are great exceptions - the Icelandic Black-tailed Godwit I emailed and had a reply by return, and your Knot do make it worthwhile.

The ringers of colour-ringed Spoonbills are also great to get a response.
Old Thursday 24th November 2011, 18:47   #12
Steve Lister

Most emails direct to the ringers get a reply these days.
And the new cr-birding.org website does have a bit for each scheme that tells you whether the people involved will reply.
Exceptions at the moment are Black-headed Gulls ringed at Cotswold Water Park, many gulls ringed in the Netherlands and some Mute Swans ringed in Staffordshire.

Steve
Old Friday 25th November 2011, 10:08   #13
TwoDipsfromAmsterdam
Anything About?

Steve

Whereabouts in northern France was your Rutland Water Tufted Duck marked with the nasal saddle? I had a Tufted near Utrecht a couple of weeks back and reported it through cr-birding. I got a quick reply that it had been marked in France and that the group responsible would let me have more details. I've heard nothing since. Maybe mine was marked at the same place as yours. My bird had a green saddle with the letters HT.

David
Old Saturday 26th November 2011, 08:10   #14
TGB

Picking up on Steve's post a couple above this one. I ring the Black-headed Gulls which are done in Berkshire under the same project as the Cotswold Water Park ones and I've been working with John on this for three years and know that he is very conscientious about getting results out to people. Earlier this year I know he had an email problem and I can't remember the ultimate cause - but it was either a finders email getting classed as Spam by his system or his reply getting classed as spam by the finders email system.

If you have any outstanding sightings from this project then please PM me on Birdforum or send your sightings to gulls 'at' rbringing.co.uk

Cheers

Tim
Old Saturday 26th November 2011, 15:14   #15
Steve Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDipsfromAmsterdam View Post
Steve

Whereabouts in northern France was your Rutland Water Tufted Duck marked with the nasal saddle? I had a Tufted near Utrecht a couple of weeks back and reported it through cr-birding. I got a quick reply that it had been marked in France and that the group responsible would let me have more details. I've heard nothing since. Maybe mine was marked at the same place as yours. My bird had a green saddle with the letters HT.

David
There have been four Tufted Ducks with pale blue nasal saddles seen in Leics/Rutland this year and all have been ringed at St Philbert de Grand Lieu in northern France.

Steve
Old Saturday 26th November 2011, 18:24   #16
Clive A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
There have been four Tufted Ducks with pale blue nasal saddles seen in Leics/Rutland this year and all have been ringed at St Philbert de Grand Lieu in northern France.

Steve
We have a Tufted, at Carsington Water in Derbyshire, also ringed at St Philbert de Grand Lieu.
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 09:22   #17
AndyK

I had a mute swan with an orange ring tag on lower leg, tried for ages to figure out how to report but couldnt make any sense of the CR birding website.
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 16:08   #18
Steve Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
I had a mute swan with an orange ring tag on lower leg, tried for ages to figure out how to report but couldnt make any sense of the CR birding website.
Did you make a note of the code on the ring?

Steve
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 17:27   #19
AndyK

Quote:
Did you make a note of the code on the ring?

Steve
P7A on orange tag, I wonder if its a partial read as leg is in water? I tried the identifier thing where you put in code type but no luck?

English species name: Mute Swan
Colour ring type: Legring one coded
Colour-ring colour: Orange (O)
Colour ring code: Three alpha/numeric code (3 letters/numbers)

Then i tried the left tibia lower, nothing came up, left tarsus lower comes up with 1 c-ring (dont understand) and doesnt do anything? I clicked apply but nothing happens, what am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swan tag.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	358731  Click image for larger version

Name:	stag2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	358732  

Last edited by AndyK : Monday 28th November 2011 at 17:39.
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 18:06   #20
Steve Lister

Just send an email to [email protected]

I think Mute Swan is yet to be properly transferred to the new version of the colour ringing website and so only recently registered schemes come up when you do what you did. I had the same problem with LBB Gull recently.

Steve
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 20:14   #21
AndyK

Quote:
Just send an email to [email protected]

I think Mute Swan is yet to be properly transferred to the new version of the colour ringing website and so only recently registered schemes come up when you do what you did. I had the same problem with LBB Gull recently.

Steve
Email sent, thanks for your help Steve. I tried this a few weeks ago but to no avail!

edit: email returned undeliverable, ive found the email address now its [email protected] for anyone who needs it!

Last edited by AndyK : Monday 28th November 2011 at 20:18.
Old Tuesday 29th November 2011, 11:18   #22
AndyK

instant response!

Thank you for the report of your sighting of the orange ringed mute swan, P7A, at Stanpit on 11 November. The bird was ringed as a first year female in Christchurch harbour on 16 July 2006. She was also seen in the harbour in July of 2007 & 08. In 2009 she raised 7 cygnets locally with the cob J7C and similarly in 2010 5 cygnets. Neither of the pair had been seen this year until your report. The pair are particularly interesting as one of them carries a recessive gene which results in some of their cygnets having white rather than the normal brown feathering in their first year, which are known as 'polish' cygnets. In 2009, five of the cygnets were white and two normal but in 2010 all were normal.

The ringing is being carried out as part of a long-term study of the swan population in the Avon catchment. Most of the swans are caught during their mid-Summer moult, when they become flightless and can be easily rounded-up into temporary pens and rings and health checked before release. During July in the harbour the swans can number up to 500 but numbers drop swiftly in September once they are again flying. Most will then disperse coastally to the east and west or move inland up the Avon and Stour, with a few making longer journeys to the Severn or Thames and very few crossing to France. A few remain to breed locally.

Fantastic! Thanks very much for your help in submitting my reading Steve!
Old Tuesday 29th November 2011, 21:58   #23
John Hague
aka The Drunkbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
A speedy response to my colour ring report of the knot. It took less than 24 hrs to get a reply.

The bird was ringed at De Richel, Netherlands on 02/09/2011. This is the first sighting since it was ringed.

The same bird was present about a mile away at Newburn Bridge this afternoon in amongst a large group of Knot including another Knot with just a metal ring.
Ian just posted about Purple Sands on a new thread see here also http://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/...colour-purple/
Old Wednesday 30th November 2011, 08:05   #24
IanF

I reported some Curlews yesterday that have been around over the last 2-3 days and several for the last two weeks. Another speedy response with the reply arriving last night.

Looks like some old friends have returned

1. OY NY was ringed on 7th September 1991 as a juvenile bird (BTO ring no. FC48911). The bird remained using Seal Sands & Seaton Common throughout the winter and when over-summering and moulting during 1992 as a first summer. Sightings would suggest it emigrated in its second summer sometime after 22nd March 1993, returning by 5th July. Thereafter it was generally recorded on Seal Sands during the late summer/autumn (July - August) and then again late winter (January March, once in April; 11th in 1995). Since our team was disbanded at the University in late 2001, the few observations made were by the two of us, largely of the bird foraging on Seaton Common in autumn and winter. You were last to report the bird, on Seaton Common on 22nd March 2008.

2. RY GR was ringed on 6th March 1992 as an adult (BTO ring no. FA25118) born in a year previous to 1991. Sightings would suggest the bird largely uses Seal Sands during the late summer/autumn with all winter sightings from Seaton Common. This is the second sighting for 2011, the previous in October from Seaton Common.

3. WR OY was ringed on 21st July 1997 as an adult (BTO ring no. FC80366) born in a year previous to 1997. This birds pattern of occurrence and location is similar to that of the previous individual. You were also the last to report this bird, 16th March 2008 at Seaton Common.

4. WR WR was ringed on 21st July 1997 as an adult (BTO ring no. FC80379) born in a year previous to 1997. The few sightings of this bird again reflects a pattern of occurrence similar to the previous two individuals though John Grieveson did record it on Seal Sands in January 2005. I last sighted the bird, this feeding on Seal Sands on 17th September 2008.

5. GY WN was ringed on 16th July 2001 as an adult (BTO ring no. FA86718) born in a year previous to 2001. There has only been three previous re-sightings of this bird, twice on Seal Sands (Sept 2002, August 2008) and Seaton Common (November 2009).

Old Wednesday 30th November 2011, 08:56   #25
TwoDipsfromAmsterdam
Anything About?

Quote:

Steve
Steve

Many thanks,

David
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: