• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

surf scoter (1 Viewer)

mowla

Hi all.
Could anyone out there help me out.
I need directions to Stutton Ness so I can look for the juv Surf Scoter. Never seen one b4 and have tried other spots along the Stour to try and find it.
Any help would be most grateful.

It is probably best to view from the Essex side.

However, if you do want to try and view from Stutton Ness, then you can park in the car park next to the community shop and centre in Stutton village. It is then a 20 minute walk from there along a public footpath, that runs past Crepping Hall. You'll see the footpath begins along Crepping Hall Road. The Tarmac peters out at the Hall, but a track continues on past a large wooden barn in the left and eventually bears round to the left and then straight down to the ness.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Sean

Around mid-day today, the views of the Surf Scoter from Wrabness were very distant. I suspect that anyone who'd taken the trek down to Stutton Ness (as per Sean's excellent directions) would have had better views.

It's a difficult call to say whether it's a better bet to view from the Essex side or the Suffolk side. The Essex side (from Wrabness) has the great benefit of having sun behind you (and a shorter walk), but it seems from talking to others that there's often a better chance of it being closer to the Suffolk shore (most especially at low tide).

Toss a coin?

Stewart

Hi Stewart

My experience was the opposite as regards it being closer to the Suffolk side, but a lot depends on the tide, boats using the main channel etc.

As you say the light is better from the Essex side and the walk considerably less.

I'll be down that way tomorrow, so will be checking out the river and nearby Alton Water.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it another go at the weekend if it sticks.
Cheers
Gary

In case helpful, late morning today

-- Common Scoter upstream of buoy 7 towards Stutton mid-channel

-- Surf quite close inshore off western end of Wrabness huts

-- Velvets out in mid- Holbrook Bay on a line between Stutton Ness and w end of Felixstowe docks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back