• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In the midst of death........ (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
There is life!!!

Trafford Park just outside Manchester is the biggest industrial park in Europe according to one poster. Not a pretty site.

Right in the heart of it is Trafford Ecology Park which is a few acres (11 I think) with a bit of woodland, a lake and some meadow with a visitor centre and some parking. (Off Lake Road, off Trafford Park Road).

Popped in today just to see what was there. I don't suppose it will become famous for rarities but as a tranquil haven in the middle of a dump it has a lot to offer. If your partner wants to spend a day at the Trafford Centre then make your excuses and go here instead!

In ten minutes managed to see wren, robin, blackbird, woodpigeon, starling, coot, sedge warbler, several butterflies and some odd things that looked like they might bite!(horseflies?).

I might see what can be achieved in one hour and report back on the "one hour challenge."

The main point is its juxtaposition with such an awful surroundings rather than its rarity potential.

James.

James,

I live in the heart of an industrial area too, but we have some marvellous birding locations close at hand. We have numerous ponds all reclaimed from industrial use which wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the industry.

It's great as long as you don't lift your eye level to the sky line and see the chemical works, nuclear power station, steel works, ship yards, rubbish tip ....... ;)

Hi IanF

I seem to remember seeing some good birds up in your area, correct me if I am geographically challenged but they included Great Reed Warbler and Great Spotted Cuckoo. Saw the first, dipped the second.

James

James,

Coming originally from the Monton/Eccles area, I am of course familiar with T. Park. In fact my father worked there (Courtaulds and ICI) for many years.

I was really surprised when I read your post, there is hope for us all yet; as you say it's not the most attractive place in the world, but on my next visit to see mum and dad I will have a snoop around after spending all hubbys money in the T. Centre. :)

thanks for the info

Regards
H

James said:
Hi IanF

I seem to remember seeing some good birds up in your area, correct me if I am geographically challenged but they included Great Reed Warbler and Great Spotted Cuckoo. Saw the first, dipped the second.

James

Your aim is a little south of here James. Th Great Spotted Cuckoo has been at Spurn Point on Humberside. I'm about 120 miles further north on Industrial Teesside (ICI, Birtish Steel, BASF, Phillips Petroleum etc)- Middlesbrough is the largest town nearby which lies on the south side of the River Tees. We get a good selection of waders and other passage migrants throughout the year on the ponds in addition to some excellent woodland and moorland habitats a few miles inland.

Its surprising what can be found. Where I used to live there was a derilict gasworks, which was slowly returning to the wild. It had a good population of the birds you would normally associate with scrub land. Was getting a bit overgrown with birch but they did support a goodly number of fungi and there was also a number of small spotted orchids under the birch too.

Lots of dog rose, bramble, buddelia, snowberry, and elder. A few apple trees alongside the railway line (probably from people throwing out cores), blackthorn, and hawthorn, but no damson that I ever found.

Sadly I believe they are concreting it all over for a foolball (sic) stadium.

In the 70s a few action groups took over derelict land and turned them into, community gardens, nature reserves, or urban farms.

One could have a quite word with the contractors building a road nearby and get them to dump a few truck loads of topsoil over the area, as they were probably going to dump it anyway. Next you organised the local kids into spreading it out, got in a few bundles of hedging whips, seeded up areas with grass and wildflowers, divied up parcels for small alotements, and dug a pond. Total cost would be under £200. The local council might complain a few days later but the deed had been done. And it takes a very hard nosed authority to come and buldoze it down.

Hi IanF

Not this G S Cuckoo! The one about 8 years ago!!!!!!
Sorry time flies!!

(Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like bananas) Try translating that on your computer!

James

James, at an outdoor firing range I go to every few months, you would be amazed at the amount of wildlife immediately surrounding the range. Birds perched on the fences undeterred by the God awful noise. At least the humans are wearing ear protectors.

I got the Great Spot Cuckoo on Teescide - on the Long Drag, early July 1995. Dipped a Teescide Great Reed too, at Haverton Hole, tho' I've seen a couple in Northumbs, so that dip doesn't matter.

Trafford - yep, apart from the Ecology Park, a dreadful place. There's a particularly awful bit called Old Trafford

Michael

Oops ! Sorry James and Michael. In 1995 I was birding but computerless and clubless so I never got to hear about rarity sightings. Now if a G S Cuckoo should come back, then that would be a different matter.

This week we just have Spoonbill, 2x Little Egret, Ring Necked Duck and Garganey around - though I haven't connected with the elusive Spoonbill yet. Grey Heron we have at least 30 of, all suddenly arrived on the scene.

BTW I tidied up the thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back