• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9 x 63 overwhelming choice (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
Hello, I've recently thrown out two cheap pairs of bins (12x50 and 8-17 x 30) leaving me with two other cheap sets, a 20 x 50 from Aldi (which my 10 year old likes so gave) and a 50 x 70 from the web that really doesn't seem to magnify much more than the 20x pair.

Anyhow, having visited the Lea Valley researve north of Waltham Abbey this weekend, I fancy buying a decent pair and was looking at some 9 x 63 optics. Weight is not an issue, good resolution is, and what I've noticed with more expensive binos is that you don't go cross-eyed trying to get the image focused and lined up nicely into one.

I assume you get what you pay for? You pay for better optics, better focussing, larger exit pupil, nitrogen filled waterproof...etc?
With the 63 lenses are you just paying for the larger glass?

Ended up thinking maybe Bresser Diorit, maybe Celestron Skymaster. But I really don't know, look at all these for goodness sake:
http://www.twenga.co.uk/search.php?c=892&s=5&cm=1&av1=91738&a2=2&av2=91739

Any help and advice, other recommendations gladly recieved.

P.S. Is there a search function in this forum?

Maybe you would be interested in a basic optics primer instead. Click on the website below: Articles by Eagle Optics and their "Product Buying Guide." It is an American company but you can use the information from it any where.

Welcome to Bird Forum!

http://www.eagleoptics.com/articles

Bob

Thanks, that a good site. Also found a UK site called Strathspey.co.uk which has some good info.

No closer to deciding, though after reading through various fora last night, think a Swarovski set of 8.5 x42 bins and a 20-60 x 85 CTS telescope would be nice.

This was a great site to stumble across! Now I need to win the lottery:'D

Well, I've bought a pair of Steiner Discovery 8x44. I believe they are the UK version of the Steiner Peregrine xp mentioned in other threads.

I paid a very reasonable 599 for the 8 x 44 ED Steiners; having read the threads on large objective bins etc saw the 9 x 63 Diorits on offer at 166 so have thrown caution to the wind and got them too.
Now I feel the need for something pocket size, as, while doing archery this morning saw a beautiful mistle thrush in the woods nearby about 25-30 feet away, but it wouldn't let us approach closer...

Though 9x is an interesting compromise..I am waiting for some 9x36s to come out...at 63mm I would go for 10x models. If I wanted something that big and heavy. Most people use a tripod at that size.

Threw them away...

The zooms were bought in Malaysia in '93 by my wife, about 60 quid; last month my daughter complained the left side was blurry and gray. I took them and they rattled like a tube of smarties.
The 12 x 50s...probably from Aldi for 10-15 quid, the right side came loose from the body and the picture quality, never good even when new, became too bad.

I've been using 50 x 70's and don't find the weight an issue really. Also was following swallows catching flies over a lake with them the other day. What is more difficult of course is finding the bird in the first place, very much a matter of keep looking at it when raising the bins.

I had thought about getting the 10 x 44 ED Steiners as well (at the same price before they sell out) but fancied the larger objectives - I like to sit out in the garden late evening.

I think you need a scope. It will usually have better quality, unless you get an Aldi scope or something.

I like to watch stuff through 20x when just panning a scene. Then I zoom in to 49x on my current scope.

I know a chap who owns a camera/bino shop. Have asked him what he can do on the Swaro 30 x 75 telescope.
Tell me I should get the 20-60 x 85 instead3:)

I guessed that would be the great advantage, just the price of the Swaros that is the problem.

Incidentally, the Steiners are absolute beauts optically.

Regarding the 9 x 63 Diorits, I found out a couple of days after I ordered them that they were not actually in stock and none were to be delivered...
so I'm having a rethink as to whether to buy a good second pair of binos for low light situations, or some sort of scope as you suggest.
Anyone used 10x50 nighthunter xp Steiners, they look interesting?
http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/night/510.html

Many people use a fixed lens scope. Depends on the distance you typically view at. Fixed lenses can give a wider field.

I've never found Steiners superior in any size to others. I think the marketing is mostly the hunter image selling the product. Some are not bad. But not a good deal for $.

Tero, I've been reading loads of back pages of threads. Did you ever decide whether an 8x or 10 x was the BIG ONE to buy and keep?

I realise that much in choosing bins is subjective and depends on the person's physique and taste, it's been interesting to see various threads and views on Steiners written over the last few months

I have a pair of Steiner Nighthunter 10x50's, and the low light ability is excellent, there are very few bins that can match it. Steiner has named this model correctly, they are excellent for night hunting. The optical clarity would be considered average compared to the higher end stuff out there.
They have ind. focus, and some will criticize that, but for long distance viewing, they work well for me. I like the weight and handling of the large porros.
For bird watchers interested in fine detail, these are not for you.

That's what I guessed, thanks NDhunter.

I'm now considering swapping my 8x for 10x, then get a 7x50 type (Zeiss porro) for low light and save up for a good long distance scope(40x85 Swaro).
Does everyone go through this kind of enjoyable shopping angst and learning curve trying to find what's suitable?

I can sort of understand how people 'collect' binoculars. However I'm not likely to get more than two or three pairs at most, or ever sell them once I'm happy, so wish to buy quality glass.

Last edited:
Hi! - I think the 9x63 really is a niche binocular. They offer a 7 mm exit pupil which is best suited for very dark skies and / or young eyes otherwise you will get wasted aperture - with the extra weight. Also they tend to offer a narrow Afov - most being around the 50 degree mark. Some offer less - the Orion Mini Giant offers 46 degrees.
The best vesrion I have viewed thru was the Vixen Geoma 9x63 - FMC and W.P. Very sharp on axis with good contrast and color fidelity. They displayed minimal edge aberrations - as you would expect with a well made 9x63.

Good luck.

Chris from New Zealand

[I have just joined up and posted on the introduction site].

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, I read on an previous thread that by age 50 (which I seem to be fast approaching) the eye may only open to a maximum of 5mm, so I was thinking the older one gets, the more one would like the smaller magnifications?

I found Vixen zmc, which are the first 9x63 porro I've seen online; they may be chunky, but having read that porros are a bit brighter than equivalent roofs, I've bookmarked the US site. I may change my mind again-again.

Tero, I've been reading loads of back pages of threads. Did you ever decide whether an 8x or 10 x was the BIG ONE to buy and keep?

I realise that much in choosing bins is subjective and depends on the person's physique and taste, it's been interesting to see various threads and views on Steiners written over the last few months

If you can hold 10x steady, 10x is handy in winter. I think 10x42 is bright enough. But at close distance or in the woods, 8x easily beats the 10x. It is just so much less work to find the birds. And for 8.5x, it is essentially the same as 8x. I would not turn one down, there are good models. But don't think it is a 10x.

The dual binoculars of Leupold and others may have some use, but the jury is still out on those.

Well afer trying Hawke Frontier 8 x 43 ED, Swaro 8.5 x 42 EL, the Nikon 8 x 42 HG L, and the 8 x 44 and 10 x 44 Steiner Discovery, I've settled on the Steiner 10 x 44.

Reasons for me?
Hawkes are good, but not quite as good somehow; the Nikon image was instantly gratifying but seemed to enhance rather than be realistic; and the difference between the Swaro and the Steiner was not apparent, I really could not pick a winner they were equally excellent. So I was left to decide which Steiner and decided I like the extra magnification with the near equally bright image.
Then I tried a secondhand pair of Zeiss 7 x 42 Dialyt, from about the mid 1990's. Wowser! If only they had been in better condition.

(I would add that I've very briefly tried a couple of Leica (8x32 and 7x42BN) and a B&L, and the 7 x 42 Leica was excellent)

So optically I like Swaro and Steiner, for handling and design I preferred Nikon and Steiner, for value Steiner and (obviously) Hawke.
I've tried my 10 x 44 in the forest and they are terrific, I've even taken up bumble bee watching; at distance they can pick out swallows I couldn't see with my naked eye. Am I happy.

My wifes first reaction to trying them was "Gosh they're nice, can I have a pair too".
But I think the next purchase might be Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back