• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My dilemna for today (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

We went out to see if we could take photographs of Bee Orchids, and Butterflies as you do.

I had an accident. I put my foot down into an invisible hole, and I have broken my ankle - clean break. It happened so fast that I did not know what had hit me. I simply twisted my foot the wrong way, and I am one legged now.

Six weeks of a stokie, and 'crutches' and I feel quite down about it all.

Anyway thought I would pass this information on here :-C:-C:-C

Need a bit of cheering up me thinks :news:

Oh dear Kathy! What can one say in a situation like this, apart from, I hope that you cope alright, that the pain is soon under control and that you are up and running as soon as possible. My prayers are with you for a complete recovery.

Baz.

Oh Dear Kathy sorry to hear about your demise. You are allowed to be down for a short while whilst you come to terms with your bad luck, but then I'm affraid it's chin up and get on getting better as fast as you can. :t:

Hi Kathy

I'm just paying a very rare visit here (too busy with personal things at present) and want to say how sorry I am to hear about your unfortunate accident.

You take care of that ankle, follow doctor's orders and don't try to do too much. Hopefully you'll soon be completely mobile again and enjoying the countrysiide.

Oh dear Kathy! What can one say in a situation like this, apart from, I hope that you cope alright, that the pain is soon under control and that you are up and running as soon as possible. My prayers are with you for a complete recovery.

Baz.

hi Baz

Thank you for thinking about me as you have. The foot is very tender at the moment as I sprained it badly along with the break. Touch the end of my toes it is ouch big time. :eek!:

I could not walk from the car to the hospital ward and I had to use a wheelchair. The pain was something else!!!

OH is off work so I am glad to have him help and help he does for the most basic things - poor man. Have to go up and down the stairs - on my bottom :eek!:

I think it will be 6 weeks with stockie/smaller bandage then physio to get the joints working once more. just want to be able to go to the Bird Fair this year. That is the main thing. o:)

Oh Dear Kathy sorry to hear about your demise. You are allowed to be down for a short while whilst you come to terms with your bad luck, but then I'm affraid it's chin up and get on getting better as fast as you can. :t:

Thank you Charlie for your good wishes. I am still in shock myself how daft I was being. I will wear walking boots over rough terrain in the future (not trainers!!)

We live and learn. :-C

Hi Kathy

I'm just paying a very rare visit here (too busy with personal things at present) and want to say how sorry I am to hear about your unfortunate accident.

You take care of that ankle, follow doctor's orders and don't try to do too much. Hopefully you'll soon be completely mobile again and enjoying the countrysiide.

Thank you Bea, Great to hear from you and yours. I hope that life is treating you well, and I look forward to your postings on X-Beebs in the future.

Doctors orders are that I am careful, and when I use the crutches I have to keep my leg sticking out behind me.
I will miss the countryside.
I love my nature rambles, but if I go in the car that is second best to me.

Oh no! I am sooooooo sorry to hear of your accident.

*~*~*HUGS*~*~*​

Hi Lydia

Thank you for your lovely hugs and caring Lydia. I feel sad and silly about it at the same time. Like your lovely photo of the Woodpecker - cheered me up. :t:

At least I have BF to post onto, read peoples posts what they are up to. So i will watch how your little ones progress instead. o:)o:)

Pictures of my leg and the crutches :eek!:

Attachments

• Stockie1.JPG
    Stockie1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Crutches.JPG
    Crutches.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Kathy It wont help but my middle son broke both ankles, and tore a tendon in his wrist in a fall in North Wales, so I feel sorry for your dilemna, as I know how painful it was for him.
This bit might help though the hospital suggested he would find a wheelchair useful, he replied with only one hand Ill be going round in circles, Oh yes that might be a problem they replied, then decided not to offer any more advice.
Good news he is OK now after an op on wrist and leaning to hop around much to his five year olds delight, no sympathy just gave her lots of laughs.

Hope Your Feeling a bit better Peter

Hi Kathy It wont help but my middle son broke both ankles, and tore a tendon in his wrist in a fall in North Wales, so I feel sorry for your dilemna, as I know how painful it was for him.
This bit might help though the hospital suggested he would find a wheelchair useful, he replied with only one hand Ill be going round in circles, Oh yes that might be a problem they replied, then decided not to offer any more advice.
Good news he is OK now after an op on wrist and leaning to hop around much to his five year olds delight, no sympathy just gave her lots of laughs.

Hope Your Feeling a bit better Peter

hi Peter.

Thank you for your reply.

Gosh your son must have had a really bad fall. Sounds like he landed all his weight from a height all onto his legs and ankles. Ouch.
It must have been annoyance not being to be able to walk in any way at all. :-C

At least you can add some humour to your son's situation that is what counts. Yound children would be fasinatated about plastercasts etc...I am sure that the hospital decided against giving any more advice after that comment about the wheelchair. LOL

The crutches are something to get used to. They are good for support for all movements so they are functional.

Yes, time will be the healer here me thinks. ;)

Hi Kathy. How are you doin' today?

Hope that you have some pain medicine. I know it gets worse at night when there's nothing to do but think about the ankle.

Here's another {{{{{{{{*HUG}}}}}}}.

Oh Peter! That's awefull! Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery too!

Attachments

• k9b 302.jpg
    k9b 302.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Kathy. How are you doin' today?

Hope that you have some pain medicine. I know it gets worse at night when there's nothing to do but think about the ankle.

Here's another {{{{{{{{*HUG}}}}}}}.

Oh Peter! That's awefull! Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery too!

Hi Lydia

Thank you for asking, and your 'big' hug - I needed that. :t:

I have I took Nurofen the first night as the sprain was causing the musles to spasm. So it felt strange as well as uncomfortable. :-C

My foot is all right as long as I do not hit my toes on my right foot in any way - if I do the pain shots up my leg ouch. :-C

I cannot place any weight on it. Ouch. So when I use the crutches -I have to keep my leg up behind me.

OH has too accept things now for a while! ;)

OH has too accept things now for a while! ;)

That may well be the most difficult part of YOUR recovery! ;)

Glad you're able to cope with this set-back. I *hate* the way pain meds make you feel! Personally I'm loopy enough without external help from pills but sometimes it is a necessary temporary evil to help you get through it all.

Take care! :t:

Hi Lydia Thanks for the best wishes, He is over the worst now, also ended up having a tendon transplant in his wrist. He was on location for a Tv company, shooting on a moutain in the dark. so guess it could have been worse.

Hey Kathy Have another hug from me, next time your Birding dont forget to look down at were your walking

All the Best Peter

HI Kathy,

One dear, only just caught up with this; what a thing to do.

It'll have to be taking things easy for a while but at least you can sit and enjoy the garden and think of all the housework etc that you won't have to do.

Hope everything goes to plan.

Bill

Hi Lydia Thanks for the best wishes, He is over the worst now, also ended up having a tendon transplant in his wrist. He was on location for a Tv company, shooting on a moutain in the dark. so guess it could have been worse.

Hey Kathy Have another hug from me, next time your Birding dont forget to look down at were your walking

All the Best Peter

Hi Peter glad that your son is alright, as I should have mentioned before. must have been a truama for him to go though - not nice at all.

Thank you for your hug. Really appreciate it a whole lot. :t:

It will be walking boots, thick socks and a support socking under my sock in the right boot now. Need to protect my weakened ankle joint.

Yes, no more pot holes for me, Peter. We live and learn.

HI Kathy,

One dear, only just caught up with this; what a thing to do.

It'll have to be taking things easy for a while but at least you can sit and enjoy the garden and think of all the housework etc that you won't have to do.

Hope everything goes to plan.

Bill

hi Bill

Thank you for your kind reply, Bill. :t:

Yes, my name is 'silly billy kathy' at the moment.

OH has been left to help me out now and it is part of the normal for the time being.

No housework and foot up is the best way. The crutches take some getting used to but i am getting there. o:)

We shall battle forward. ;)

Sorry to read of your accident, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Hi Pam

Thank you for thinking about me, Pam :t:

Hopefully I will be walking about soon - with walking boots to support the ankle joints. :t:

In the meantime it will be car rides, and lots of pampering me thinks from OH. :gh:

Hi Kathy dear!

Hope you got to enjoy some birds today. The Swifts were VERY busy feeding their chicks. I think they are just in the larger chimney. Those guys are soooo loud, one can distinctly hear them calling for room service while standing outside!

The Swallows inside seem to be just as noisy though far fewer in numbers. LOL!

Hope you're doing better and OH is adjusting.;)

Here's a photo of protesters against global warming. :t:

Attachments

• ihundreds.jpg
    ihundreds.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 16
Hi Kathy dear!

Hope you got to enjoy some birds today. The Swifts were VERY busy feeding their chicks. I think they are just in the larger chimney. Those guys are soooo loud, one can distinctly hear them calling for room service while standing outside!

The Swallows inside seem to be just as noisy though far fewer in numbers. LOL!

Hope you're doing better and OH is adjusting.;)

Here's a photo of protesters against global warming. :t:

Hi Lydia

Thank you for thinking about me. :gh:

Yes, my OH drew my attention towards all the Juvs we have in our garden at the moment - Blue tits and Great Tits - love swifts and Swallows OH favourite birds.

Hope you little feathered friends are growing from strength to strength - including the one with the deformed beak. ((hugs from me))

Love the picture Lydia. Great fun the idea with all the snowmen.

Foot is not so painful now. I think it is more to do with the angle I sit it at - if it hurts. I feel the swelling has gone down so the bone wiill be the area to mend now.

Going to the hospital tomorrow so I will see what they say next. I might even be a expert on crutches yet- call me speedy - if only LOL.

Speak again
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back